The $70 tonneau cover

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Sabber
Scoobytruck Master

Re: The $70 tonneau cover

Post by Sabber »

cool, Im glad you found it useful. Put some pics up if you getthe chance I would like to see how it came out.
n3now
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by n3now »

Posted a few pics. It's holding up well even in the freezing/thawing cycles we're getting. I'll take some pics of the underside once the weather clears up a little.
YBajaSteve
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by YBajaSteve »

that looks nice! Im still iffy on the handle tho. i dont know what i'd make the handle look like/be if i was making my own, but still, looks great dude!
Check out more pics!<<<<<< Cardomain Page. *******SOLD THE BAJA*********** But im still around, PM me if urgent!
Sabber
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Sabber »

Looking good! Man I feel like I have actually contributed to the community having someone read my post and have it give thm enough info and inspiration to make there own. [smilie=666.gif]

Did you do anything differently (other than the obvious seperate pieces of vinyl on the hinged pieces)? what did you end up using for padding?
canuck37
Scoobytruck Master

Post by canuck37 »

Sabber wrote:Looking good! Man I feel like I have actually contributed to the community having someone read my post and have it give thm enough info and inspiration to make there own. [smilie=666.gif]

Did you do anything differently (other than the obvious seperate pieces of vinyl on the hinged pieces)? what did you end up using for padding?

When I made mine, I used 1/2" automotive felt - gave it a nice padded look and the adhesive stuck to it better than it would with foam.
Sabber
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Sabber »

canuck37 wrote: When I made mine, I used 1/2" automotive felt - gave it a nice padded look and the adhesive stuck to it better than it would with foam.
I recall you mentioning that on page 1.
n3now
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by n3now »

Sabber wrote:Looking good! Man I feel like I have actually contributed to the community having someone read my post and have it give thm enough info and inspiration to make there own. [smilie=666.gif]

I used the same camp pads. I couldn't beat the price. That and I found I could round them into the wood with the belt sander nicely.
PatagonianBaja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by PatagonianBaja »

Have you weighed the tonneau cover? My biggest gripe with my baja is it's inability to really carry any serious weight... I'd love to build a hardtop tonneau cover... like one out of 1/4" sealed oak... but fearing over-taxing an already small engine.
darthsoob
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by darthsoob »

I would like to build my own cover so was wondering two things; first, where does on get marine vinyl? Second, has anyone thought of using a different core than plywood/OSB? I have seen the results of an Ozzbros cover after 5 years. It sagged so much it acted as a funnel for water-not that I am shooting for watertight. Just don't want to have something that will not collapse. Does anyone have any suggestions for another material?
canuck37
Scoobytruck Master

Post by canuck37 »

darthsoob wrote:I would like to build my own cover so was wondering two things; first, where does on get marine vinyl? Second, has anyone thought of using a different core than plywood/OSB? I have seen the results of an Ozzbros cover after 5 years. It sagged so much it acted as a funnel for water-not that I am shooting for watertight. Just don't want to have something that will not collapse. Does anyone have any suggestions for another material?

You can buy the vinyl at any upholstery supply store - same stuff they sell for making boat seats/covers, etc..
I had mine through about 3 California wet winters and it never showed any sagging at all. 5/8th marine grade plywood oriented with the grain going across the bed. I also used a 2" strip of aluminum bar underneath the hinged portion (so that each of the 2 pieces sat on it about an inch) to help support that one side that didn't rest on the bed or tailgate.
These things aren't designed to be water tight, just water resistant, so they will all leak to some degree.....depending on their construction. Good luck!
darthsoob
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by darthsoob »

Maybe I'll add some sort of stiffner as you suggested. Thanks! Now has anyone ever seen a pattern for the plywood on any site? I looked for the link by Wrenchgirl and it ended at "I sent it off this weekend". No template that I've seen.
darthsoob
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by darthsoob »

By the way, does anyone know how thick the plywood from an Ozzbros cover is?
canuck37
Scoobytruck Master

Post by canuck37 »

darthsoob wrote:Maybe I'll add some sort of stiffner as you suggested. Thanks! Now has anyone ever seen a pattern for the plywood on any site? I looked for the link by Wrenchgirl and it ended at "I sent it off this weekend". No template that I've seen.
I had it as an AutoCad dwg file at one point years ago for use on a plotter.........sorry I don't anymore. It isn't that difficult to do your own template with cardboard. Get an old fridge box and just go for it! Lying on your back in the bed trying to trace it out is kinda fun!!
SnowOwl
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by SnowOwl »

I know this is a mega bump, but this looks pretty cool. I want to try one. Was a little weary of it lacking a locking mechanism. Has anyone considered installing a type of rotating mechanism, or something along he lines of a door handle? Would love to figure it out.
canuck37
Scoobytruck Master

Post by canuck37 »

SnowOwl wrote:I know this is a mega bump, but this looks pretty cool. I want to try one. Was a little weary of it lacking a locking mechanism. Has anyone considered installing a type of rotating mechanism, or something along he lines of a door handle? Would love to figure it out.

When I built mine, I did a lot of searching around for a locking mechanism that would actually work without significantly altering the tailgate, etc.. Basically, after talking to locksmiths and police types, I gave up, as they all said if someone wants in, they will get in regardless. I viewed this as more of a weatherproofing effort as opposed to security, so I put a lot into making it as water "resistant" as possible. I had posted the template in AutoCad file format on the forum years ago, but can't find it anymore. I used 1/2" marine grade plywood and vinyl, stainless piano hinge, etc., and it turned out just fine - for less than $100 as I recall now. Plus it was fun to do and a total one-of. If I had to do it again (I gave it away when I bought an ARE cap) I would go for using 3/16" black powdercoated aluminum checker-plate - pricey but lasts forever and looks good! Have fun....