Offroad light install on roof basket with pics - write up.

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

bajaguy
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Offroad light install on roof basket with pics - write u

Post by bajaguy »

When I bought my baja, someone had bolted lights on just for looks. To me, thats useless. So I actually ran all the wires through the inside of the roof rail and hollowed out the left plastic mount with a dremel and went through under the roof rail and down the same pillar the antenna goes through on the non-turbo bajas. The result was exposed wire for only about 2 inches.
Attachments
I'll upload better pics later.
I'll upload better pics later.
IMG_3102 - Copy.JPG (198.93 KiB) Viewed 5160 times
bajaguy
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Offroad light install on roof basket with pics - write u

Post by bajaguy »

IMHO, this is the best (not easiest) way to wire them.
This is what I described in the previous post. The headliner must be removed on the front left. the hole was drilled about an inch behind where the antenna hole is. We caulked around the wire so its waterproof. The power is borrowed from cruise control with no effect on the operation, though anywhere would work just fine.
Attachments
IMG_3527.JPG
IMG_3527.JPG (246.51 KiB) Viewed 5141 times
IMG_3526.JPG
IMG_3526.JPG (155.09 KiB) Viewed 5141 times
IMG_3529[1].JPG
IMG_3529[1].JPG (238.3 KiB) Viewed 5141 times
Mykeyboom
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: Offroad light install on roof basket with pics - write up.

Post by Mykeyboom »

I'm gunna give it a go! I'll let yah no how she turns outs, thanks for posting this
Mykeyboom
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Mykeyboom »

Hey how did you find out which wire to ground on in the back ? I don't no what vampire clip means haha
cspaugh
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by cspaugh »

Good write up and comments. I have not done the wiring yet, which seems like the hardest part, but I was wondering if i installed say 4 hella lights could I run them all to the same switch? And if I removed one of the rectangle switches say from a junked Baja could I use that instead of the switch that came with the hellas, to make it all look the same? One thing that I have done that I will post a couple simple pics on later is that instead of drilling into the cross bar on the roof rack to install the lights I bought some Yakima universal mounts and I used those. This way I can easily move the lights anywhere I want on the roof rack as my fancy dictates.