03 Headlights

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

asarcasticjerk
Scoobytruck Lurker

03 Headlights

Post by asarcasticjerk »

My headlights pretty much suck, any suggestions on what to do, should i go HID or something else
Thanks
Zooom
Scoobytruck Master

Re: 03 Headlights

Post by Zooom »

you should try some Sylvania Silver Star bulbs 1st...that and make sure that your lenses aren't opaquing...if they are opaquing, then try a headlight restoration kit along with the bulbs...

I personally try and steer away from modifying stock headlights to HID due to the refraction lens being set to space and work with a stock bulb and the variation of spacing for getting to make it right with an HID can be a nightmare...plus you then have to wire in the energizer/capacitor modules...that's not to say it can't be done....but there are other inexpensive alternatives out there I'd try doing 1st...
Sabber
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Sabber »

also, if you lenses are getting foggy and stuff, another thing you can try is clearing your headlights (do a search for it. It involves using your oven, but apparently gives good results.
I also thought my lights were pretty bad, but all it took was pointing them upwards a little bit to make them give good visibility.
YBajaSteve
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by YBajaSteve »

HID's in a stock housing is generally frowned upon. The lenses arent made for that kind of light output and you will be blinding oncoming traffic unless you angle them in some sort of absurd fashion.
Check out more pics!<<<<<< Cardomain Page. *******SOLD THE BAJA*********** But im still around, PM me if urgent!
asarcasticjerk
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by asarcasticjerk »

thanks guys i just bought the silverstars and they are working nice..my headlights are foggy so im not sure what i will do next but the lamps did help
The Yeti
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by The Yeti »

I used some Meguiar's plastic polish / restorer. It cleared my '00 Outback's headlights up nicely after a couple coats and some elbow grease.
YBajaSteve
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by YBajaSteve »

there are quite a few different brands that make head light restorer. Ive heard good things about the 3M brand stuff.

Also, welcome to the site!!! and could you add your location info to your profile please. State or region would be great! thanks!!!
Check out more pics!<<<<<< Cardomain Page. *******SOLD THE BAJA*********** But im still around, PM me if urgent!
jseabolt
Scoobytruck Master

Post by jseabolt »

asarcasticjerk wrote:thanks guys i just bought the silverstars and they are working nice..my headlights are foggy so im not sure what i will do next but the lamps did help
I tried those Silverstar bulbs and really like them but I ended up having to replace a bulb about every 3 to 6 months. One bulb even lasted a week. I took it back and got a replacement bulb for free. After about six bulbs at $20 a pop, the last one that blew I pulled the low beams out and put the original bulbs back in. That's been about a year ago. I still have the original Silverstars high beams but because they are not used as frequently I suppose that's why they are not blowing.

If you look on the back of the package it will show the life span of the bulb and compared to typical halogens, they don't have a very long life.

As far as your headlights clouding up. I'm not sure what causes this because the headlights on my 03 Baja look as new as the day I bought it and I've never done anything to them except wax them.

My father had an '03 VW Jetta he bought in January 2006 and the headlights were clouded on that car just after 2-3 years. When the vehicle was involved in an accident the guy at the repair shop wetsanded the lenses with 2500 grit sandpaper and buffed them. They looked like new.

The lenses on my 96 Ford Explorer are not that bad but I've seen newer cars that look worse. Does your car sit outside in the weather?
http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd148/turbofiat/

2003 Subaru Baja
1968 Ford Fairlane 500
1980 Fiat 124 Spider (turbocharged)
1987 Yugo GV (1500 turbocharged)
1981 Trabant 601 S
1987 Citroen 2CV
1977 MGB
Zooom
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Zooom »

with the SilverStars, I agree, that they can be short lived, but some of that can be prevented (or life elongated in this case) by packing some dielectric grease in the connectors as a heat sink for the bulb. just an fyi fwiw.
bajaninja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by bajaninja »

Wet sand 1500 grit first, then 2000 grit, then polish! Did mine wonders!
gifters
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by gifters »

The Xtra Vision's are better than the silver stars