Yellowblaze=blueblaze?

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

yellowblaze
Scoobytruck Master

Yellowblaze=blueblaze?

Post by yellowblaze »

Well, it had to happen sometime. Sadly, the Baja was our daily, and therefore racked up the miles. We rely on it too much to have a DD out of warranty. So, today, we traded it in. Looks like I need to change my sn now. To be fair, "yellowblaze" never really was for the Baja-we were originally looking for a Blaze Yellow WRX when that name came into use. So, now, I guess Blueblaze would work, sort of. Because we just bought an 06 Atlantic Blue Pearl Sport! Yup, another Baja. Just couldn't face buying anything else, we hunted up a lower miles (25k) 06 with a good in service date so we can buy a Gold plus warranty. It was really sad leaving the yellow one there, all dirty (salt season here, we just washed it on Monday) and lonely. We left a hidden note for the next owners to come visit scoobytruck and look me up if they wanted. The dealer's keeping it instead of wholesaling it so we should have a good guess on when it's sold. Here they are together at the dealer:

bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Yellowblaze=blueblaze?

Post by bulwnkl »

I sure love the Blue of the '06s ('05s, too?).

Congrats!
jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by jaxed »

Very nice. LMK if you want me to change your handle on here (I think I can do that).
yellowblaze
Scoobytruck Master

Post by yellowblaze »

I'll stay yellowblaze for a bit until I see if the new owners of our 03 show up. I've got to come up with something blue related. blueblaze was a joke, as in "what in blue blazes is that thing?!". Looking at that pic, it looks more like Regal blue than Atlantic blue. Must be the overcast sky mixed with a point and shoot digi cam that isn't completely true to colors. Or, Atlantic blue is one of those colors that "changes" with ambient light, looking darker on overcast days and lighter on sunny ones.

I have to admit, it's a bit strange. It's the same but not. We're discovering several slight differences between the two we never knew about. Like the "cruise engaged" light, the in tank fuel filter and an AWD light in the dash. I already knew the seats were different and the radio/climate controls were silver instead of black. It also feels higher (I know it is, but I thought it would be subtle enough I wouldn't notice). I still have to get used to saying 06 not 03 and it's harder to find a blue one that a yellow one with "ears" (the sport lights) in a parking lot! I can't wait for spring to really detail it...
seaview
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by seaview »

Pretty new here but just stopped in at our used dealer here to check on whether my registration had come in yet on our new/old Baja (03) which we purchased a few weeks ago..........saw my old truck (67 Ford) sitting there.......it was a little sad but it actually looked kinda proud in the lot next to a nice 2005 Blue Baja.........Congratulations on your 06......Pete L.
yellowblaze
Scoobytruck Master

Post by yellowblaze »

Thanks. That's one good thing about trading it in a different state, we'll probably not see it again.

Now we have to decide what to do with this one. We're thinking of taking the bars off the roof rack and adding a swoosh (DH wants yellow, I'm thinking a shade or two off of the blue). I have to admit, we're having a bit of a thaw and I was tempted to go back to that seasonal use highway where we shot the mud pic of the 03 yesterday. But we decided it would probably be really bad and didn't want to get stuck. We know it takes a LOT to get them stuck, but since we haven't done it yet, we'd prefer not to!!

mud pic for those that haven't seen it:
Thacrudd
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Thacrudd »

Congrats on your new addition to the family. After owning my '05 baja, I just don't think I'll ever get tired of them. It'll be a couple more years before I decide to get a new car and I'll jump through hoops to get another Baja.
yellowblaze
Scoobytruck Master

Post by yellowblaze »

So, our old 03 sold within 2 weeks. I guess we'll just have to wait and see if the new owners show up. Funny, the 06 we bought was on their lot since last summer. So long resale red, there's now resale yellow?? The 03 had 90k (almost) on it and was listed at 11k and sold in a snap. Granded it was in great shape, but still-wow.

It's still strange to think our Baja is blue, not yellow. It's not that I don't like the blue...it's just very different. Amazing what a color does...
SCF
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by SCF »

If you don't mind, can you share how much you got for trade-in? Thanks!
yellowblaze
Scoobytruck Master

Post by yellowblaze »

I don't mind. We got 8k trade in, kept the bed extender (the 06 had the brackets but no extender) and got the 06 for 17k. The 03 was a touch under 90k, needed brakes, struts and tires. The 06 was still under factory warranty (about 25k miles), had the bed net, tonneau (with the corners only slighly ripped, lol), auto dimming mirror with compass and tweeter kit (the little speakers up by the mirrors in the doors). It needs a bit of a clean up once spring hits, the dealer's detailers left some stains on the carpet, but otherwise in nice clean shape.