What would you change if you could?

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Sixtwo
Scoobytruck Lurker

What would you change if you could?

Post by Sixtwo »

Still fairly new around here...but after 3 months of ownership, I can honestly say that I LOVE my 2005 Baja Turbo...however, there are a couple of things I wish I could change if I had the power...the headlights (even with the foglamps on) need a longer "throw"...and the dash lights could be brighter...of course all this would be unnecessary if I still had 20-year old eyes...
yellowblaze
Scoobytruck Master

Re: What would you change if you could?

Post by yellowblaze »

Build them again, based on the new outback!! There'a an old photoshop floating around the net based on a black 05/06 and it looks SWEET.

Seriously though, a soft cover that didn't tear in the corners almost instantly. An all weather package as an option, not just in Canada! A hard tonneau option, not just on the t with leather. The "autostick" option on the sport. A wider switchback. But really, not much. We liked our 03 so much we just traded for an 06 just so we would have another Baja because we couldn't find anything else we liked as much.

If they did build them based on the new Outback, that would bring in the trip computer which would be cool. If the options were the same, that would also offer the all weather package and a radio that is Ipod compatible. Plus the gauges are cooler. All I really want is a new Baja!!!
Thacrudd
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Thacrudd »

I know this is trivial but rubber in the bottoms of the cup holders would be nice (which I'm taking care of this weekend)
the slug
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by the slug »

Better sound proffing around the windows. I go between Illinois and Georgia a lot (9 hours each way). As much as I love the Cruck, its loud around the glass.

As another wish - low range transfer case [smilie=666.gif]
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by SCF »

the slug wrote:Better sound proffing around the windows. I go between Illinois and Georgia a lot (9 hours each way). As much as I love the Cruck, its loud around the glass.

As another wish - low range transfer case [smilie=666.gif]
Roll down window.
Open door.
Roll up window.
Close door.

Not a GREAT workaround, but nice for a long trip when windows are up.
Alpha Wolf
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Alpha Wolf »

Have WRX or STI engine options with 5 or 6 speed manual transmission.

Have better brakes with more initial bite and more power.

Quicker steering.

Longer bed.
Turbo
speedymatt
Scoobytruck Master

Post by speedymatt »

Subaru should have given us more of the concept stuff. like:
a true retractable glass folding rear wall
the concept bed size with the wall down was 4'x8' over the rear humps so you could carry a sheet of ply
supercharger on regular gas
duel range trans

other cool things would be better colors (concept orange, the servpro lime green one would be awesome), about 1000#s more towing capacity, a non-funky shaped bed so that a retractable hard cover could work, and the sportshift on sports.

with all that said i think they came up with a good compromise of features. the baja failed due to poor marketing and the "mines bigger than yours" mindset of the american public. does joe average need a full size truck for weekend projects, no. a contractor, probably. but try and convince your "ford f250 super-duty HD version" driving neighbor that just commutes in it of that and you'll lose like subaru did.

but i'm preaching to the choir now. [smilie=666.gif]
Snorkeled
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Snorkeled »

Nothing lol jk . . . Ground Clearance
childs_br
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by childs_br »

Be able to seat 3 in the back
gappvembe
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by gappvembe »

Well having my baja for a little over a month now, I can think of a couple...

Biggest one: I wish the steering wheel titled more (well higher).

The bed extender.... how it mounts to the sides, I wish the swivel point was at the bottom instead of the middle. This is because I added a little storage compartment and I cant fit the extended in the storage like it should. I may modify it so i can do it.

This is the first time without a trunk, so I wasn't used to no storage, a few small compartment would have been nice.

Not sure if it is just my car or not, but man the thing puts out some heat (not that I'm complaining, MI winters get cold), but the both side vents seem to blow out air no matter what setting I'm on. Not sure if this is the design or not, they have their own shut off so I dunno.

Really not much, just the steering wheel mostly. That's the only thing I dont have any control over.
360joules
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by 360joules »

Reinforced frame sturdy enough to handle a winch. :D
Sixtwo
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Sixtwo »

I have more:

The stock radio...the buttons are flush with (and indistinguishable from) each other and it is distracting from your driving to access them and channel surf.
The padded styrofoam arm rest on driver's side door...too HARD.
jseabolt
Scoobytruck Master

Post by jseabolt »

Sort of wished they had left the body cladding off and the roll bars. And the pieces that the roof rails attach to should have been removable like the roof rails are. I removed my roof rails and those fog light grills a long time ago.

The design of the car itself is beautiful but the cladding takes away from it's looks. I think. I know the intent was to make this vehicle look like a rugged offroad vehicle but it's versitility was what sold me on it. I think if they had left those items off, it would have made the car look sleeker and may have sold better. I've heard allot of people point out that the body cladding was ugly. I don't think it's ugly, just doesn't blend in with the car very well.

I thought if I ever repainted my Baja I'd pull the cladding off and install a Legacy front bumper. I'm not sure what to do about the rear bumper since it's unique to the car.

I was going to build a "tray" out of plywood which would sit on top of the bedrails and allow me to haul a 4X8 sheet of plywood without having to hook up my trailer but because of the roll bars, I can't do it.
http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd148/turbofiat/

2003 Subaru Baja
1968 Ford Fairlane 500
1980 Fiat 124 Spider (turbocharged)
1987 Yugo GV (1500 turbocharged)
1981 Trabant 601 S
1987 Citroen 2CV
1977 MGB
The Distance
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by The Distance »

Nicer interior finishing or lower price (relative to Outbacks/Foresters with leather-plus interior packages).

More cabin space. I'm only 5'10" but either myself or a passenger behind me will not have enough leg room.

Six-speed manual.

Lower profile roof rails.

Better MPGs.

Heated mirrors, heating elements in windshield for wipers, standard.

18" wheels.
msanseverino
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by msanseverino »

ok i have had my Baja for about 2 years and in that time i will have to say it would have to be these 5 things.
5 more power 165hp is to weak talking more like a base for 200 and a turbo with 250 or so.

4 interior space for 5 adults so seating for 3 in the back would be nice.

3 a trunk similar to what you will find in a Honda Rigline.

2. quieter cabin

1. ride height not much like 2" would be fine.

I have a kind of love hate relationship with this car. I love it when i drive off road but it makes me want to take a pen and drive it in to my eyes when driving to work or a round town. This car can be boring to drive for me at times. other times i love it. Its not my Altima that I loved so much 2" drop with full exhaust kit and full viz kit r33 and mortigi wheels but I not 18 any more i am 30 and well have a wife now so I need something that would not scar her when we drive on the highway lol.