What would you change if you could?

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

bnther36
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: What would you change if you could?

Post by bnther36 »

Definitely an extra gear.
Speed limit here is 70mph which translates to 3500rpm. The car goes any faster than that and the motor is screaming.

Change from a 4 door to a 2-door with small suicide access doors for a back bench.
I never carried passengers, but I used the back seat constantly for lunch box and school books.

Still want to see one like this made on the Forrester chasis, with a 6-speed diesel.
gifters
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by gifters »

Besides whats mentioned, I want a intake duct that goes along the whole top of the radiator with a pipe directly back to the air filter housing, and I guess you could have a drain that sends out water to the front wheel well as well.
eblanks
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by eblanks »

The only thing I want is a 6 speed manual tranni.

OK the other thing is a hybrid engine.

eblanks
Zooom
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Zooom »

eblanks wrote:

eblanks
not me brother!...Battery technology is too far behind the technology development curve and the hydrogen fuel cell hybrids don't have the support nationwide or worldwide yet.
the slug
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by the slug »

Zooom wrote:
eblanks wrote:

eblanks
not me brother!...Battery technology is too far behind the technology development curve and the hydrogen fuel cell hybrids don't have the support nationwide or worldwide yet.
But a diesel would be nice!
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Zooom »

the slug wrote:
Zooom wrote:
eblanks wrote:

eblanks
But a diesel would be nice!
HUGE +1!!!

Turbo Diesel is the way to go...there is a TDi I would love to have if it ever came to the states, but it won't...so oh well!
KensAudio
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by KensAudio »

Couple things came to mind as soon as I got mine (which obviously didn't prevent me from getting it):
Smoother clutch (manual transmission) with a longer throw - i.e. the clutch pedal should need more length to transition between engaged and disengaged. I stalled it all the time when I first got it. (Still do once in a while, but that's just my RPM preference.) I understand all Subies have this type of clutch, so perhaps I'm stuck with this.

I'm guessing that if they'd built this on the Forrester instead of the outback, we might have ended up with a little more headroom. I would've appreciated that, and I'm only 5'10".

I wish there were more tie-down points in the back. If I don't think ahead, it's sometimes hard to reach one with the hook of a ratchet strap after the back is already loaded. My first choice would be lining the top and bottom edges with L-track (Logistics-track, as used in airplanes). Then the tie-down points are anywhere you want 'em to be.

I wish I could put a class 2 hitch on it. All the accessories want to use a 2" receiver, which you can't get on the Baja, because all the class 1 hitches have 1 1/4" receivers. And I wish there was an easier/more findable harness to attach for a trailer harness. Baja has a 6-conductor harness in an awkward location - not helpful to us DIY-ers.

Oh! The approach and departure angles could be better. It's a conundrum: I love the smaller turning radius that the shorter wheelbase gives me, but if the wheels were pushed farther apart (front and back) then I wouldn't scrape the bottom so much in relatively shallow ditches. That's a tough compromise to engineer... (How much would a boost in height affect the mileage efficiency?)

A 6-speed manual transmission would be nice (lower crawl-type 1st gear, higher ratio 6th gear for cruising at highway speeds).

That's about it for the big/exterior/design stuff. All the interior stuff is small stuff, and I try not to sweat the small stuff. It's still a fun drive.
- K
Baja '03 Blk, non-turbo, M/T, OzzBros, Bed Extender, JVC, ScanGaugeII, Garmin
"Well, ya see, son, when a dune buggy, a jeep and a sedan really love each other..."
WillGT
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by WillGT »

I just wish they had stuck with the original concept of the STI. Canvas roof, full switch back with roll down window, more sporty look.
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Skemcin »

I'd buy:
  • two door extended cab version
  • lift friendly chassis
  • low range transfer case option
Of course, if I had a spare Baja, I'd just do this over the summer:
:mrgreen: