Highest miles on a Baja (so far!)?

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Highest miles on a Baja (so far!)?

Post by bulwnkl »

Happy New Year!

How many miles do you all have on your Baja so far? I'm closing on 96,000 on my '05 turbo. No major failures nor replacements, and no indication of anything coming up. I bought mine second-hand. Original owner was in sales, thus the high miles (I bought it ~18 months ago w/under 80k).

What have you got, and how far do you think you'll get with yours?
Emsanon
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Highest miles on a Baja (so far!)?

Post by Emsanon »

I'm at the 61,000 mile mark with my 03 Baja. I'm the second owner as well. No problems or failures..well, except for the rare afterlighting caused by my removing the muffler. [smilie=bunny.gif]
Evanism
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Evanism »

Original owner of an '05 N/A with 76,000. There an '03 in town with over 130,000. No problems from either...(knock on steel).

I do have that annoying driver door glass thing, where it doesn't quite fit. Had 2 different dealers try, but apparently they didn't try very hard. I might have a body shop fix it then send the bill to Subaru with the 2 past attempt receipts.
2005 Baja Sport, Regal Blue Pearl
traded-in 2004 Legacy 35th
Slight mods:
Heated mirrors
Heated seats
Horn upgrade
Speaker upgrade
OzzBros bed cover
Autodim mirror
Bluetooth stereo
Factory tweeters
Turbo Headlights
crackhead
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by crackhead »

'03 Sport. 118,513 miles! I am the only owner. Bought her new on December 23, 2003. I just made the last payment last week!

Let's see, put on a new clutch kit. I tow a 1500# camper so I expected that one. Replaced the water pump. On my second set of tires. That's about it.

We had to take my wife's Impreza Sport in for service on Friday and they were going on and on about my Baja. There is a used lot next door to the local Subie dealership and he had 3 on the lot. I was told he was buying up as many as he could. I went over to have a look. All three were standard models and two were 06's and one was an '05. They were priced from 17k-22k! I had my wife come over and look at the 22K one and reminded her that is what I paid NEW! Of course it was newer, fewer miles, black on black, leather, etc. Surprisingly it was not a turbo.
Seth in Asheville, NC
seaview
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by seaview »

Mine is a 03 with 105000 miles, I've only put about 300 on it so have no history, had it checked out and all the belts appear to be original so it's going in tomorrow for all new belts......runs like a top so far.............only have a small used car lot in our town and he tries to get as many Subarus as he can due to reliability. Has a Blue 2005 there now for 16000 with 50 some thousand miles on it.............Pete L.
crackhead
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by crackhead »

seaview wrote:Mine is a 03 with 105000 miles, I've only put about 300 on it so have no history, had it checked out and all the belts appear to be original so it's going in tomorrow for all new belts......runs like a top so far.............only have a small used car lot in our town and he tries to get as many Subarus as he can due to reliability. Has a Blue 2005 there now for 16000 with 50 some thousand miles on it.............Pete L.
If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay? Sorry if that's intrusive but having an '03 with similar miles I wonder what I might expect. What model did you get, standard or Sport?
Seth in Asheville, NC
yellowblaze
Scoobytruck Master

Post by yellowblaze »

Our 03 sport has almost 89k on it, bought in December of 04 with 2200 on it (ex-exec demo). One weird incident which was covered under the extended warranty-a pully sheared off and threw the belts. Drove it home (less than a mile) and called Subaru. Had a wrecker out shortly after, and had it back the same day (and this happened @12pm).

We're looking for a low mileage MY06 to replace it with since we are getting near 100k and want to keep our DD under warranty (and we still want a Baja of course). They are going for more than we paid for ours in 04, and with more miles! It's crazy! No one can convince me SOA wouldn't have sold a ton of these with better advertising.
seaview
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by seaview »

Seth,
I'm out in Washington state but I paid 10750 (and a beat up 67 Ford pickup) before taxes about a month ago. the guy had two on the lot......the one I bought which is 2003 standard with 105000 miles and a 2005 sport with about 60000 which he still has listed for almost 17000. Go to this site and you'll see a vast range of used Baja's across the US for sale........Pete L.

http://www.justbajacars.com/
jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by jaxed »

In the title bar of this site there is a link to find Baja's for sale across the US.

http://www.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.cgi?i ... e=&ys=&ye=

That's your best gauge of prices.

My '05 just turned 35k. Had it since Dec of '04.
yellowblaze
Scoobytruck Master

Post by yellowblaze »

OMG, Jaxed you bought yours the same month as we bought ours...and we have about 55k more miles than you! AND ours had a few thousand on it when we bought it....now I think we drive a bit too much, lol...We are hopefully going to get my 91 Ranger back into one piece this spring though so that will cut back on the miles on whatever we have as the main DD by then. The Ranger turned into a project when the windshield leak from a bad install on a cracked one turned into needing floorpans, which of course snowballed from there into a full on mini-truck project including a complete repaint and interior redo. Which is why I try not to do too many projects to the main DD...it can never end with one little thing!!
jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by jaxed »

yellowblaze wrote:OMG, Jaxed you bought yours the same month as we bought ours...and we have about 55k more miles than you! AND ours had a few thousand on it when we bought it....now I think we drive a bit too much, lol...
I had a job where I could commute using the bus - now I am driving a lot more so the miles are piling up. I was putting on only 7500 miles a year, but that's gonna go up. Such is life.
crackhead
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by crackhead »

seaview wrote:Seth,
I'm out in Washington state but I paid 10750 (and a beat up 67 Ford pickup) before taxes about a month ago. the guy had two on the lot......the one I bought which is 2003 standard with 105000 miles and a 2005 sport with about 60000 which he still has listed for almost 17000. Go to this site and you'll see a vast range of used Baja's across the US for sale........Pete L.

http://www.justbajacars.com/
Thanks Pete, very helpful!

Of course, I'm not selling anyway. Just interested in seeing what the real value is.
Seth in Asheville, NC
the slug
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by the slug »

Just turned 100,000 last Friday on my 2003 N/A.

Replaced the tires at about 78,000. Went with the Grabber 2s, 215/65. Look good, great bite, mileage dropped noticeably.
Have replaced plugs and wires twice.
Still on original clutch.
Still on original brakes (they are showing wear, brake light just came on, waiting for the weather to warm just a little to replace).
Drained and replaced diffs and trans fluid once.
Countless oil changes (Mobile 1).
More than a few air filters.
Thinking that I'll be replacing the battery before too long.

Except for one fouled spark plug, mutliple headlamps and driving light bulbs, no issues, no problems.

By no means the highest, but has been more than worth the money in my opinion. Looks like Subaru could bring back "Inexpensive and built to stay that way".
Flowmastered87GL
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Flowmastered87GL »

Original owner, 05 Sport, 48K, original tires and brakes still [smilie=666.gif]
2005 Baja Sport, 51k ("NU BRAT")
2004 Freightliner Columbia Day Cab 504k
moonzie
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by moonzie »

over 134k on my `04 Baja T auto. Southern Indiana.

Had to replace my radiator recently - developed a leak a few inches away from the cap - at the top where the crimp-over fins come down on the coils. Got the temps pretty hot when I ran out of coolant one day! But for what it's worth I didn't let it go into the red-zone.

Still need to replace the ATF fluid.. The fluid on the dip-stick looked fine but when I replaced the radiator the little amount of fluid that came out of the cooler lines looked icky brown. yuck!