Dash Light Color Conversion w/ pics!

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

YBajaSteve
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Dash Light Color Conversion w/ pics!

Post by YBajaSteve »

Well Ive hated the green dash color our vehicles has since the day I got it, so heres my new look! Feel free to ask any questions. It was a fairly simple mod.
Image Image
You can kinda see that I did the HVAC too. That was a pain.......... Now all I need it a blue head unit upgrade! Thats too easy tho!

UPDATE******************************************************************

Im adding some pics to show the dash being taken apart and some of the steps, since i just did this again when i wired in my new off road lights. yes some of the pics show my radio was still on, i was listening to tunes, i know i shoulda disconnected my battery :lol:

Imagepic 1

Imagepic 2

Imagepic 3

Imagepic 4

Imagepic 5

Imagepic 6

Imagepic 7

Imagepic 8
heres the LED's in the switches that you can replace a different color, i havent done that yet, but now that i know what size they are, im gunna order some. I would guess T3's http://www.superbrightleds.com/instrument.html
Imagepic 9

Imagepic 10

Imagepic 11

Imagepic 12

Imagepic 13

Imagepic 14

Imagepic 15

Imagepic 16

Imagepic 17

the following three are the HVAC Led's that are those weird Neowedge ones. http://www.superbrightleds.com/instrument.html
Imagepic 18
i would guess these two are T3's
Imagepic 19
and this one is a t4? im going to order some and check it.
Imagepic 20
YBajaSteve wrote:Well, its actually a pretty easy swap, Mine took about 7 blue #74 LED's. and 4 blue #194's. I could have used more #74's if I wanted to make more of the warning lights blue ie, "brake" light, oil, battery, or whatever. I left them stock since they will catch my eye faster then if they are blue and blending in. I bought all them off eBay which IMO is the cheapest easiest way to buy LED's. :D Now for a new radio!
YBajaSteve wrote:
Pow wrote: I've taken the center console apart enough times that I know I could get to the climate controls without issue, but never pulled out anything around the gauges.

-Pow
Well if youve gotten that far, its only a few more screws to take the trim off that surrounds the gauges. And then the gauges are just sitting there looking at you, like 4 obvious screws. Two wire harnesses to unplugg and you have your guages sitting in your hand. Pop out the old lights, replace them with LED's. And Bam. youre done and it looks great. Since Ive done this mod, Ive noticed the 3 Weird LED's in the HVAC, (the defrost, recirc, and A/C buttons) they have quit working, so, I think I need to take those out and re check the wiring. I had trouble with them initially, since the LED's themselves are wired into the plastic, and then the plastic housing, once pushed in and turned, is what makes the connection. its really hard to explain without a picture. but yeah, the Dimmer still works fine, and the project really isnt that hard, once you get past the idea of taking you dash apart. Took me maybe 2 hours, with some trial and error. and the HVAC Led's took the longest by far. the gauges themselves are the easiest part.
YBajaSteve wrote:
Pow wrote:Curious, did you go so far as to replace the lights in the foglamp/cruise/bed light switches as well? It looks like in the door controls you only added in the blue lights but didn't alter the "auto" light for the driver window... which I think is cool as it contrasts well with the new blue backlighting. Any tips on installing the LEDs in the door controls? Did you also add some in the door handle area or was I just seeing reflection from the lights in the controls?

When I had the foglamp switches out, I spent a lil bit of time trying to figure out how to take them apart to change the backlighting, but couldnt figure it out without being scared I would crack the plastic, and the last thing i want to do is break a perfectly good switch. Im sure they just pop apart somehow, but I didnt spend enough time to figure it out.

The LED's in the door controls were a lil different project, since there isnt any stock lighting in there at all, other then the "Auto" light, which, I did leave green, again, didnt really want to break the button, so I pretty much ran wiring from a pin in the harness that is for the windows controls and it only has power when the lights are on, so I assume its the pwer for that "AUTO" light. And originally I had molded the LED's into the underside of the actual button box. but it wouldnt fit into the door quite right. So I ended up placing 3 LED's into the door, and then setting the window control box on top of it, and once you snap it into place, you can see where you need to adjust the LED's to, or leave them where they are, if the light is evenly displaced. It wasnt the ideal way to do it, but it works, and the outcome is nice.

Im glad you noticed the handle reflection, cuz I originally was going to add some highly directional LED's in the Top of the A-Pillar that would throw some blue light on that nice shiny door handle. Once I got the window control LED's placed, It worked out that it throws some blue on the handle, so I got two birds with one stone on that one! :D Hope that helps, and feel free to ask anything else!
Ill post this in here for reference sake -
YBajaSteve wrote:well I finally found a site that sells the HVAC type of light, with the actual plastic base on them. and i finally got a name to call that type of light too :) http://www.superbrightleds.com/instrument.html Im going to update my dash conversion one last time i think :D

The HVAC and other switch lights are called "Neo Wedge" and they come in sizes T3, T4, and T5. Im thinkin T4 is the HVAC size, and T3 is the switches size. I will check em all out 2morow.
EDIT- Seems people have had bad luck with buying cheap LED's from Ebay, so save yourselves more future hassle and spend a couple more bucks and get high quality LED's
Last edited by YBajaSteve on Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emsanon
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Lil Project that turned out better then expected :)

Post by Emsanon »

Heeeeeey, that's nice looking. I wish I knew enough to do something like that!!
Evanism
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Evanism »

I've been thinking of doing that. What are the bulbs and where did you find them?
2005 Baja Sport, Regal Blue Pearl
traded-in 2004 Legacy 35th
Slight mods:
Heated mirrors
Heated seats
Horn upgrade
Speaker upgrade
OzzBros bed cover
Autodim mirror
Bluetooth stereo
Factory tweeters
Turbo Headlights
Pow
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Pow »

Very nice! Looks like you did the climate controls and the cigarette lighter trim too? Are they still adequately controlled by the dimmer? How difficult was it to get to where the LEDs are in the dash? I've taken the center console apart enough times that I know I could get to the climate controls without issue, but never pulled out anything around the gauges.

-Pow
Pow
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Pow »

Cool. Just saw your pic in the Dash Light Change thread, along with your write up there on how to get into the dash... did you also replace the lamps in the power window/mirror controls? What haven't you replaced with blue LEDs? Besides the stereo head unit, which is still green. :)

Edit: I guess not replace lamps on the window controls but add them... just realized we don't have any there by default, at least not from what I can see on my 2006 NA.

-Pow
YBajaSteve

Post by YBajaSteve »

Yeah I just added some blue LED's underneath the window controls so you can see them better since they dont light up, like most cars, IMO.
The new stereo is coming soon!!!! It will be blue... :)
Check out more pics!<<<<<< Cardomain Page. *******SOLD THE BAJA*********** But im still around, PM me if urgent!
Pow
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Pow »

Curious, did you go so far as to replace the lights in the foglamp/cruise/bed light switches as well? On my drive in to work this morning (@ 02:30... bleh.) I noticed and remembered that those are backlit green.

It looks like in the door controls you only added in the blue lights but didn't alter the "auto" light for the driver window... which I think is cool as it contrasts well with the new blue backlighting. Any tips on installing the LEDs in the door controls? Did you also add some in the door handle area or was I just seeing reflection from the lights in the controls?

Once again, nice work!

-Pow
SCF
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by SCF »

do you have a link to the ebay auction, or seller? I'm grossly undereducated when it comes to LED. TIA!
steven765
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by steven765 »

So you didn't mention, did you scrape off the green, or just install the blue bulbs and this was the effect? Because if you didn't scrape the green off, and it came out looking that good. Please tell me where you bought those bulbs and I'll order some tomorrow!
YBajaSteve

Post by YBajaSteve »

NO SCRAPING involved. I think since I used LED's, the color is strong enough to push thru and it looks awesome. The bulb number #194 is the actual speedo and tach lights, you only need 4 but I suggest a couple more for back up. and the #74 bulbs are for the blinker and other warning lights. I used 7 of those.

#194- something like this, with the LED's also pointing off to the sides to get maximum lighting
EBAY AUCTION

#74- like these
This Auction

I also sanded the sides of the 74s to help with light diffusion
Check out more pics!<<<<<< Cardomain Page. *******SOLD THE BAJA*********** But im still around, PM me if urgent!
Emsanon
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Lil Project- (Dash Light Color Conversion) turned out great.

Post by Emsanon »

I finally swithed my lights out and I LOVE it! The only thing that I noticed is that after changing the lights to the LED...when I idle for a while all electrical equipment in my car shuts down and then turns back on. It almost looks like it's rebooting. So, my engine stays running but my lights dim, tac drops to 0, radio turns off, and my rear view mirrow direction display shuts off. My car can't seem to handle any modifications. :shock: I still love the lights though. Much better than the green. :mrgreen:
YBajaSteve

Post by YBajaSteve »

i would say go in and double check all your connections, as in, those big wire harnesses that connect to the gauge pod, maybe one is not "clicked" all the way in and is giving you troubles?
Emsanon
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Emsanon »

Good idea! I'll look into that! Thanks. [smilie=bunny.gif]
YBajaSteve

Post by YBajaSteve »

Also, post pics!!!!! I want to see how yours turned out!!!!! Did you go white like you originally were talking?
Emsanon
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Emsanon »

I wanted white but with the yellow tinted plastic..lol I didn't think that white would be very good when it went through that yellow tint. I just went with the blue that you talked about. I'll have to go out and take some pictures of it. I LOVE the blue turn signal indicator lights. [smilie=beadygrinner.gif]