Dash Light Color Conversion w/ pics!

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Dash Light Color Conversion w/ pics!

Post by davecoon13 »

Can someone just give a list of LED part numbers for the Dash lights? I don't want to tear down the dash twice, I would like to make sure I order the right thing, but I don't want to tear the dash up twice.

Which LEDs are the best from superbrightLEDs.com ? What number LEDs do I need, and how many of each should I get to have extras?
Dave Coon
www.nflcrimes.com
SilverStone Metallic
2003 Baja Sport 4EAT
"Capped" with A.R.E. Topper
WillGT
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by WillGT »

I just got my self some super white leds for the instrument cluster and my dash still looks pale green. Is there a green film on the inside of the cluster? Any ideas on how to remove it? Or is there another LED color that will cancel the green tint out?
BlueRu
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by BlueRu »

jm2unbound06 wrote:The other day one of my climate control bulbs went out :cry:
It wouldn't be the light in the AC recirculating button, would it?

I noticed this past weekend that the AC won't recirculate if the vent selector is set to defrost. Blasting the windshield with cold, humid inside air will fog the glass (as happened in our '00 Toyota van.)

R
WillGT
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by WillGT »

bought some LEDs for the instrument cluster a few months ago, got bright white hoping thats what I would see. I did not realize there was a green coating on the cluster which in turned my leds a sea green. Not really what I wanted. So I found a purple sharpie and colored the bulbs to achieve a white ish color. The sharpie is now fading though and the sea green is returning.

If I re order the LEDs in a purple do you all think that will be enough to counter the green tint to get a white ish color?
Emsanon
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Emsanon »

That's a good question. The yellow tint does change the colors of the bulbs. Makes it harder to really determine what the end result will be. My friend is now working with LED's so I bought an extra control/dashboard console and we're going to create a new harness setup for an LED string and then connect it to a small controller. It will have numerous color combo's and scrolling/flashing patters via the controller. That way, I don't have to worry about ripping the car apart each time I want to change colors. [smilie=666.gif]
06TurboScoob
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by 06TurboScoob »

I'm planning on doing this (Except in red, to keep with the Black/Red esthetic that the Baja badge on the tailgate sets up for me) at the same time I put speakers into my Baja with my tax return in the next couple weeks. :)
The previous owner had a $600+ system in it apparently, and I'm stuck with a pioneer deck, stock tweets, and a Rockford Fosgate amp until then. :(

Might put some above the foot wells as well, but I'm not sure yet, if I did, I'd rather like them on a separate switch from the dash lights.
Such could easily be wired to a switch where the optional Baja activity lights button goes, with space for a separate switch for future IPAA's. :wink:

Time will tell.

Peace and Mud!
[smilie=666.gif]
subienewbie
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by subienewbie »

Hey BajaSteve, thanks for this tutorial. For your photo labeled "pic 3" do I just remove that covering with gentle persuasion or is there a screw somewhere that I need to undo first or I'll be breaking some plastic snaps?
sealbee
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by sealbee »

I've got a question for anybody who can help.
Know anything that will keep the bulb in the dash from coming loose? I put LED's in my dash, and now one of them is loose. I can tell because it goes on and off. When off, I can hit the dash and comes back on for a second.

I was thinking of putting a dot of nail polish at the base where it touches the board. Think that might work?
MarkWinegar
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by MarkWinegar »

Light conversion and then some. A bit blurry but you get the point.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (67.19 KiB) Viewed 38376 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (90.98 KiB) Viewed 38376 times
Snorkeled
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Snorkeled »

Love what you have done !
motm18
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by motm18 »

Is there any chance we could get an "official" list of LEDs to buy from SuperBrightLEDs.com? I would love to do this to mine, as the right half of my dash went out. A simple list of the number of each bulb, and how many to convert the dash board, buttons on the left of the steering wheel, ignition ring, and climate controls, would be greatly appreciated.

Links to them on superbrightleds.com would be even better! :D
BBoley24
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by BBoley24 »

Yes. What he said.
K9Leader
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by K9Leader »

I did the conversion to LED's on my '03 Baja a year or so ago. I used white lights and ended up with a blue color. I just did my '00 Outback today and it pretty much remained the same greenish tint that it has always been. On the OB I just did the four major bulbs and the turn signals. I did do all the switches - including soldering in the LED'S for the seat heaters - and the HVAC unit.

The bulbs I used for the HVAC on the OB are much brighter and evenly diffused than those I used on the Baja. I thought this might be the case so I ordered extras for the Baja in case I liked them better. I do like them better so I will switch out the Baja HVAC lights tomorrow.

K9Leader
Newark, Delaware
bajaguy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajaguy »

mikenmel08
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mikenmel08 »

Ok, That's pretty slick