Dash Light Color Conversion w/ pics!

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

BeaverBaja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: Dash Light Color Conversion w/ pics!

Post by BeaverBaja »

can anyone tell me what lumens to get for the T10 - 194 gauge lights. There are several choices at superbrightled. Thank you.
w.rohr
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by w.rohr »

BeaverBaja wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:48 pm can anyone tell me what lumens to get for the T10 - 194 gauge lights. There are several choices at superbrightled. Thank you.
It has been a while and this is from memory: the t10 are the big lights for when the headlights are on so they are adjustable so I would say get ones on the brighter side, but note that some t10 are too big to physically fit in the socket, also lumens is only useful measuring white light so if you are changing the color a low lumen red light could be brighter then a high lumen white light.

If you link me the ones you are looking at when I get home I can compare them to the ones I got and let you know if I think they will work.
cspaugh
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by cspaugh »

I would do red but my better half would not like that. I think the blue on your dash looks awesome.
w.rohr
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by w.rohr »

cspaugh wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:41 pm I would do red but my better half would not like that. I think the blue on your dash looks awesome.
I did some of my lights blue at first but it just killed my eyes, now everything is red and amber and it is way easier on my eyes at night.
cspaugh
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by cspaugh »

I was wondering about that. Normally I use a red light not to spoil night vision when I shoot at night or other things. I am not aware of Blue light spoils night vision or not. My Charger's lights are all red. Anyone know?
cspaugh
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by cspaugh »

Thought.. is there anyway to set it up so it changes colors between night and day.. say blue during the day and red at night? Just like headlights go on during the night in some vehicles or when it starts raining. I get that functionality may not be built into the Stock Baja and it would require either 2 LED's or one that could change color along with some sort of logic/computer functionality.
w.rohr
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by w.rohr »

cspaugh wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 8:15 am Thought.. is there anyway to set it up so it changes colors between night and day.. say blue during the day and red at night? Just like headlights go on during the night in some vehicles or when it starts raining. I get that functionality may not be built into the Stock Baja and it would require either 2 LED's or one that could change color along with some sort of logic/computer functionality.
If you find me a pinout for the cluster I could probably get you a diagram to switch colors when headlights are on, but you would probably wire up custom led bulbs.
xirnibor
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by xirnibor »

Any of yall near NC. I'd be happy to pay someone to do this mod on mine
TurboNerd
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: Lil Project that turned out better then expected :)

Post by TurboNerd »

YBajaSteve wrote: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:28 am Yeah I just added some blue LED's underneath the window controls so you can see them better since they dont light up, like most cars, IMO.
The new stereo is coming soon!!!! It will be blue... :)
So I'm not the smartest so I figured I'd ask for some help. I want to switch my dash to red and maybe my climate control. I just don't know what size LEDs to buy. Got a good just list of bulb sizes?
2006 Baja turbo. 2in lift. Dark pearl blue
greymud
Scoobytruck Master

Post by greymud »

I got tired of waiting for replies and my second bulb burned out behind the dash so I ordered what I thought were the right LEDs

From my packing slip - bulbs are red (-R indicates red color - https://www.superbrightleds.com/

194-RCOB1W x4 Fuel/Speedo/Tach/Odo
74-RHP3 x6 (or more) Everything else behind the cluster. Also key/lighter/Ashtray/Glovebox
Neo4-RHP x3 HVAC cluster
Neo4-AHP x0 Wrong size

The 3 switches on the left (cruise, etc) - I got the Neo4 (3 red for label, 2 amber for indicator) Too big, so I'm ordering Neo3 to try out. I'll update when I get them. It seems the emergency flasher is this size, as well. I didn't take it apart, but it look like the same switch style as the Cruise.

I was a bit nervous, but it went fine. I know which end of the screwdriver to hold, but that's about it. I used the guides here and youtube vids and it was a few hours. Much easier than I expected. I also cleaned the heck out of all the stuff I opened. Swiffer refills get into cracks well.

Tips I can share:
Take it all apart and replace bulbs as you reassemble. Wear nitrile/latex gloves to handle the LEDs. Gloves get nasty on the way in - I don't know if that dirt is like skin oil, as I don't know what's in it.
Once you get the stereo mount box thing out and unscrew the HVAC controls, you don't have to remove the cable. I was able to wiggle it enouch to turn it enough for access. The rest of the stack needed to lean most of the way out for this.
Good opportunity to change the order of things in the stereo stack - even change the head unit.
The 3 switches on the left (Cruise, etc) unplug then come out the front. I almost broke one trying it out the back. Also good opportunity to rearrange these as desired.
05 NA 5MT
greymud
Scoobytruck Master

Post by greymud »

I got the Neo3 bulbs in and they almost fit. they need some trimming to get in - and out if they are backwards. i put them all in and one of them is not backwards. I destroyed one removing it, so ordering another set for these. Assuming a dremel will trim the diameter well enough. they really need to be neo2.85 to fit.

I'll update again on second try.
05 NA 5MT
gsxrdoug
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by gsxrdoug »

Well done and nice write up.