Dash Light Color Conversion w/ pics!

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Emsanon
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Updated 17-Apr (Dash Light Color Conversion)

Post by Emsanon »

childs_br wrote:I am still waiting for my led lights i ordered them on ebay 2 weeks ago. They are coming from Hong Kong though so i am sure it will be awhile. i hope i get them this weekend so i can install them. hopefully i can get out of yard work lol.
I think a set I ordered came from there as well. It actually shipped faster than I was expecting. The seller must have jumped on the shipment. [smilie=beadygrinner.gif]
childs_br
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by childs_br »

Well my bulbs finally came in so i installed them. It was realy easy to do, The only hard part I found wasthe panel that has the hazard on it. The wire is short so it is hard to unhook with out breaking the clip that holds it. otherwise it was a easy job. Thanks Steve for the pics it did help out alot. [smilie=666.gif]
YBajaSteve
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by YBajaSteve »

I definitely had trouble with that hazard switch myself. I think I even broke some of the clip, but now it goes in alot easier :D
Check out more pics!<<<<<< Cardomain Page. *******SOLD THE BAJA*********** But im still around, PM me if urgent!
Danfzzl
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Danfzzl »

Hey BajaSteve, how did you get the temp. controls off? i have the wires disconected but i cant seem to get that cable for the fan off...
Dan
http://theravensedge.com/
Baja Mods: Class 1 hitch, Dash light conversion to blue, Ozzbros bed cover, 2 Hella 500 Fog lights Mounted on front bumped bracket
YBajaSteve

Post by YBajaSteve »

Im pretty sure I never removed the cable at all. you just kinda work around it.
Check out more pics!<<<<<< Cardomain Page. *******SOLD THE BAJA*********** But im still around, PM me if urgent!
childs_br
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by childs_br »

I installed the 4 bulbs and they seem to be not that bright. I am wondering if i got the cheeper ones. Those were the ones from Hong kong. I thought they would be a lot brighter that they are. Maybe if i add all the little ones that will make a difference.
Emsanon
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Emsanon »

I have to look at mine again. The left side of my instrument panel is starting to flicker and sometimes go out. :( Ah well. I have to purchase more bulbs for the temperature controls so I'll wait until I get those in, then try and fix the connection for the other ones.
YBajaSteve

Post by YBajaSteve »

well different bulbs definitely make a difference, but the 4 big ones are the only ones that light up the tach and speedo, so adding some of the smaller ones wont affect the tach and speedo at all.
Danfzzl
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Danfzzl »

Hey fellow Baja owners! I've been wanting to to the dash conversion as well... but i cant seem to find the right size LED bulbs... i have 5 T3 lights for the 3 switches to the left of the steering wheel. i got them at SuperbrightLEDs.com but they are very cheaply made and the plastic molding is barely too big, i think its because they are so cheap... i also have 8 #74 LED's. i have 2 installed in my turn signals and they work great but again they are a tight fit because of the crappy molded plastic... they don't work for the clock and odometer screens though... also how did you rig up the cigarette lug and the ash tray lights? i was wondering if anybody knew of a better LED and exactly what sizes and how many ill need. thanks
Dan
Baja Mods: Class 1 hitch, Dash light conversion to blue, Ozzbros bed cover, 2 Hella 500 Fog lights Mounted on front bumped bracket
Thacrudd
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Thacrudd »

i have 5 T3 lights for the 3 switches to the left of the steering wheel. i got them at SuperbrightLEDs.com but they are very cheaply made and the plastic molding is barely too big, i think its because they are so cheap...
I got some T3 neowedge bulbs for the switches as well. Mine were too big also so I carefully pulled the bulbs out of the plastic housing and did the same on the original ones and put the new bulbs in the old housings. Its a bit of a pain but it worked out for me.I had to do the same thing with the AC control bulbs (there's 2 of them) and they are T4 neowedge bulbs.
i also have 8 #74 LED's. i have 2 installed in my turn signals and they work great but again they are a tight fit because of the crappy molded plastic... they don't work for the clock and odometer screens though...
#74 bulbs are also known as T5 bulbs. When I ordered mine off ebay I did not have a problem with them fitting though. You may have to order some different ones? The bulbs for the guages (4 of them) are T10 bulbs and I recommend getting a quality superbright bulb, as some of the cheap-o bulbs aren't bright enough
also how did you rig up the cigarette lug and the ash tray lights? i was wondering if anybody knew of a better LED and exactly what sizes and how many ill need. thanks
The cigarette bulb is also a T5 bulb (non-neowedge like the switch bulbs) and it just pops in. There is another spot for a bulb on the right side of the gearshifter for the P-D-R-1-2-3 (if automatic) that uses a T5 bulb as well.

When I was changing out my bulbs, I found out that they have to be plugged in a certain way since they are LEDs. If you plug them in and it doesn't work just pull it out and rotate it halfway. I also found that if you pull out the black plastic piece that holds the emergency flasher switch and then take out the switch and plug it back in it makes things much easier. My dash lights would not work unless my emergency flasher switch was plugged in. It makes it easier to test instead of having to put everything back together.

The T5 bulbs I bought:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... AQ:GB:1123

The T10 bulbs I bought:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... OTORS:1123

Good luck!
Danfzzl
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Danfzzl »

how the heck did you get the bulbs out of the T3's? the ones i have wont even budge! did you get those neo wedge T3's on ebay or somewhere else?
Dan
Thacrudd
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Thacrudd »

Danfzzl wrote:how the heck did you get the bulbs out of the T3's? the ones i have wont even budge! did you get those neo wedge T3's on ebay or somewhere else?
I had a fairly hard time getting them out. I actually broke one of them. I had to wiggle them a little bit left to right and just pulled on them. I got them off ebay but they didn't come from a store like the other ones I bought. They were kind of a one time deal so I jumped on it.
childs_br
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: Dash Light Color Conversion w/ pics!

Post by childs_br »

Well the 2 of the bulbs on the dash started to flicker and now they went out tonight. I wonder if that is a common problem with leds, That they don't last long? I ordered them from hong kong so i am wondering if i should order them from somewhere else.
Danfzzl
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Danfzzl »

childs_br wrote:Well the 2 of the bulbs on the dash started to flicker and now they went out tonight. I wonder if that is a common problem with leds, That they don't last long? I ordered them from hong kong so i am wondering if i should order them from somewhere else.
Hmmm... LED's usually last a very long time. i think you either had a bad connection (like your LED isn't twisted into the control panel all the way) or you just got some really cheap LED's that were made hastily and are cheap. id suggest spending an extra dollar or two and get a few high quality LED's. so far with my dash conversion i've changed my turn signals and the 2 screens for my odometer and clock. I'm waiting on the LED's to finish the conversion... hope i get um soon! [smilie=666.gif]
Dan
Thacrudd
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Thacrudd »

id suggest spending an extra dollar or two and get a few high quality LED's.
+1 There aren't many options for the T5 bulbs but I know T10 bulbs have quite a variety of quality. The ones I got seem to hold up pretty well, but always order an extra one or two just in case.