Dash Light Color Conversion w/ pics!

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

5050GRIP
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Dash Light Color Conversion w/ pics!

Post by 5050GRIP »

I hope that never malfunctions in the multi strobe mode, dang seizure.
BajaHubby
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by BajaHubby »

Just finished this job on my wife's '03.

One thing not obvious in the instructions is the need to remove two screws from the roof of the ash tray compartment after removing the ash tray. The second bezel piece (surrounds the stereo, HVAC controls and ash tray) won't come loose until these two screws are removed from the plate that the ash tray glides on.

There are lots of different LED numbers and questions of quantities needed floating around this thread. I'll try to simplify it now that I've done it.

-You need four T10 LEDS in the color of your choice. This provides one each for the four guages (fuel, speedo, tach, temp).
-You need two T5 LEDS. These will illuminate the two LCD screens for odometer and time/outside temp.

The above provide the minimum needed to change the color or just replace all the display on the instrument cluster. Choose LEDS with a diffusing lens to get even light distribution. With the T10 especially, you will want to choose bulbs with side-firing LEDS in addition to top mounted to get even light.

I chose not to change the color of any of the warning lamps in the cluster because I wanted them to "Pop' with the normal colors in comparison to the blue of the guages. I cant help in colors or quantities for these warning lights.

If you want to go further than just the cluster:
-Get three more T5 LEDs to change the color of the cigarette lighter, ash tray and ignition switch.
-Get three T3 NeoWedge LEDs for the cruise, cargo, and fog lamp buttons.
I chose to just do white LEDs but you may want to do the same color you choose for your guages. These LEDs illuminate the icon or label on each switch. The fog and cruise switches have a second additional T3 NeoWedge bulb that illuminates to indicate the switch is ON. Two amber or red LEDs would be ideal for these additional lights. (The Cargo switch does not use this additional illumination because an indicator in the instrument cluster informs you when that switch is on.)

Last, I changed the dome light, map lights, and door kick panel lights for LEDs as well. All are 31mm festoon lights. I did white for the two maps lights and the dome light. Blue for the two door kick panels really looks nice!
Last edited by BajaHubby on Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
Near Taos, NM
'03 Baja - Obsidian Black & Silver
BajaHubby
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by BajaHubby »

I didn't do the HVAC knobs at this time. Those, and the three buttons for Fog/Cuise/Cargo can be pretty easily done later without a huge amount of disassembly compared to the instrument cluster. Info for doing the HVAC is pretty well covered already.
Chris
Near Taos, NM
bajaguy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajaguy »

BajaHubby wrote: There are lots of different LED numbers and questions of quantities needed floating around this thread. I'll try to simplify it now that I've done it.
This is what I've been waiting for, thanks! Sometime this will happen.
mikenmel08
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mikenmel08 »

Same here , Thanks
Anomaly
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Anomaly »

Thanks from me too. I had actually started a thread asking if anyone has a complete list. All I need to know now are they types of LEDs I need for the warning lights. I want to do them all white.
Allanon93
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Allanon93 »

Did it on Friday. The lights on left side of the cluster were out. I replaced the gauge and the blinkers. Sad thing is though check engine light burnt out the next day. So I got to take it apart again to repair it. Getting some bulbs to replace the switch light bulbs all them are burnt out.
Attachments
IMG_2171.JPG
IMG_2171.JPG (318.5 KiB) Viewed 33016 times
Rsmith8126
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Rsmith8126 »

Just changed mine nice! :D
tcat
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by tcat »

Confused about led part numbers. Looking for the one(s) that illuminate the lcds. My milage one is out. I believe I need a #74 or T5, right? I found these at Amazon, but says does not fit my Baja. I only plan on changing the two lcd ones, white or red.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KS3BQ7A/re ... zyb2YVDZV3
Scoobyshack
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Scoobyshack »

Just finished mine. Ordered everything from superbrightleds.com. good quality lights. Makes all the difference on the interior.
IMG_20170105_211303.jpg
IMG_20170105_211303.jpg (1.92 MiB) Viewed 32200 times
BloodyMummer
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by BloodyMummer »

This is how mine came out. Love it so far. Some of my T5s didn't fit the instrument panel. Still pretty happy with how it came out.
Attachments
IMG_20170305_191251.jpg
IMG_20170305_191251.jpg (3.32 MiB) Viewed 32085 times
fletcher817
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: RE: Re: Dash Light Color Conversion w/ pics!

Post by fletcher817 »

BloodyMummer wrote:This is how mine came out. Love it so far. Some of my T5s didn't fit the instrument panel. Still pretty happy with how it came out.
Awesome!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

rglass1040
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by rglass1040 »

I am new to the Subaru ownership but have been wanting one for YEARS. Now that I have it I found that at least one dash light is out and this is the ticket BUT I am worried at the first step. I am comfortable with any disassembly except the first part. How do I safely take off the plastic trim? around the shifter and radio/HVAC??
Rich
'06 Baja, Black, 1" Lift, 215/65 Generals
'18 Crosstrek, Sunshine Orange
BajaHubby
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by BajaHubby »

tcat wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:41 pm Confused about led part numbers. Looking for the one(s) that illuminate the lcds. My milage one is out. I believe I need a #74 or T5, right? I found these at Amazon, but says does not fit my Baja. I only plan on changing the two lcd ones, white or red.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KS3BQ7A/re ... zyb2YVDZV3
I haven't been on in a while. The T5 is what you want but I don't think you want the ones you linked to. They will make a bright spot in the middle of your LCD screen that makes it hard to read. Find some that diffuse the light more. I bought some that look like small Christmas tree lights and ended up dipping the tip in silver model paint to diffuse the light and reduce the bright spot in the middle of the LCD screen.
Chris
Near Taos, NM
firebanex
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by firebanex »

Of note, when you replace the blinker indicator lights, make sure you pick a the lowest lumen LED you can, I stuck some 19 lumen LEDs in there and they are blinding at night. I have become very used to leaving my hand at the top of the steering wheel to block the light from my eyes. Otherwise everything in this thread is super helpful and I've swapped everything over to blue LED's in my dash, it looks awesome.