newb questions, but not ordinary questions

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

raider50
Scoobytruck Lurker

newb questions, but not ordinary questions

Post by raider50 »

First off, i would like to say hi to everyone. This is a nice site you all have :D

To get meat of my post, I have a few question i hope you all answer for me!

So the baja turbo has a ej225, it is shared with the forester xt (outback xt too?), and it just happens to be a detuned sti right? So if it has a ej255 from the forester xt, does it share the same auto tranny?

Does the baja share the same platform as the same model year legacy and outback?

Is there anyway to significantly stiffen the front suspension? or am i kind of out of luck?

How much weight could a person hang off the front of a baja?

Does the baja have its own computer or does it share that with another Subaru model?

thank you for all of your time and patience! I currently have a 2000 outback with 215k on it and its about time i get something new. I am a huge subaru fan and the baja is right up my ally. any help is much appreciated.
WillGT
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: newb questions, but not ordinary questions

Post by WillGT »

those are quite the questions
I might be able to answer some of them.
The Baja was built off of the same platform as the Legacys and Outbacks of the time. It really is just an outback minus the back roof and extended a bit. I might be wrong on this though, I thought the Baja had a stiffer suspension compared to the Outbacks also. I also have heard that the Bajas towing capability is around 2500 to 2700 lbs that might help some when thinking about the front end.
raider50
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by raider50 »

Alright cool, thank you. That helps a bit with some of my searching.

I asked about the front suspension because the plan is to make my own custom grill-guard/bumper and was curious if i could hang enough weight off the front to have it handle the occasional deer at speed.
Emsanon
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Emsanon »

raider50 wrote:I asked about the front suspension because the plan is to make my own custom grill-guard/bumper and was curious if i could hang enough weight off the front to have it handle the occasional deer at speed.
Well, it will sure handle something like this:

That's my current setup and it's been handling it like a champ! It's directly connected to the frame and the bar is able to push the weight of other vehicles without bending. It's heavy but the vehicle seems fine with it.
bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bulwnkl »

raider50 wrote:Does the baja share the same platform as the same model year legacy and outback?
No, it did not. The Baja used a 1-series-old platform. The '03 - '06 Baja used the '00 - '03 Legacy platform.

raider50 wrote:Is there anyway to significantly stiffen the front suspension? or am i kind of out of luck?
You could go with coil-overs, if that'd suit you?
raider50 wrote:Does the baja have its own computer or does it share that with another Subaru model?
Well, the "computer" is the same, but the programming is a bit different. If you're into open-source tuning, you'll see that Bajas use slightly different maps. I'm not even positive whether they've reverse-engineered every Baja's maps at this point or not. Having said this, I cannot comment on whether a Forester flash (just for the sake of example) will run the engine or not. You'd have to call your/a tuner or ask on the open-source forums about that.
raider50
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by raider50 »

thank you all very much for your responses. I learned some very valuable information. I had no idea that that baja used a generation old legacy platform! Maybe i don't have the eye for subaru details but i would have never figured it. Once again thank you! :D