*..Baja Trailer Hitch?..*

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

bakerman1
Scoobytruck Lurker

*..Baja Trailer Hitch?..*

Post by bakerman1 »

I have found a couple on ebay that I'm looking into but wanted to get your guys expert oppinion on them first, and if there is a different place thats cheaper and better than please let me know. Thanks in advance and here are the two ebay sites. Let me know what you think.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... :IT&ih=012

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... :IT&ih=011

Ken
jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Re: *..Baja Trailer Hitch?..*

Post by jaxed »

I've got the hidden hitch and it was easy to install, after some confusion... My hidden hitch doesn't seem to look like the one in the auction, where you can see the point where the exhaust pipe goes through.. on mine, it looks like a dent. But, it bolted right up. I think I paid $179 or something for mine a few years back.. there is an old thread on here somewhere about it.
speedymatt
Scoobytruck Master

Post by speedymatt »

the biggest thing with the baja is wiring for lights. because of the switched negative it makes the universal wiring kits a challenge to get working right. I have read somewhere on here that the patent or propriety limit ran out on the wiring harness for the baja so its open to the aftermarket if they now want to produce it. that means that instead of going to a dealership and paying dealership prices for the correct wiring, places like uhaul can now make the correct kit for the baja and charge their price for it.
bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bulwnkl »

True: U-Haul now has plug-n-play wiring adapters. Even if you have to use their non-plug-n-play for some reason, it's not hard to do and I don't believe for a minute that Subaru and U-Haul are using a different manufacturer or different specs for their respective units.

Neither of the hitch pictures at those ebay links you provided are actual photos of Baja hitches. I have the Hidden Hitch for the Baja (Hidden Hitch #60982) and it doesn't look like that nor attach in even a similar way. Go to etrailer.com for actual photos of the Hidden Hitch, Curt, and Draw-Tite Baja hitches.
sporter
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by sporter »

Please explain "switched negative", thanks.
bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bulwnkl »

"Switched negative" means that a light (brake, blinker, whatever) is activated by connecting the negative (ground in all modern cars) side of the circuit to ground. To deactive the light, the connection to ground is broken. So, you're "switching" the negative side of the circuit.

It's normal on trailers to have the negative side of the circuit connected to ground all the time, and switching the positive side on and off to activate the light. The car's working the opposite way, so things aren't quite so simple as just connecting the car's wires to the trailer's wires.
speedymatt
Scoobytruck Master

Post by speedymatt »

bulwnkl wrote:True: U-Haul now has plug-n-play wiring adapters. Even if you have to use their non-plug-n-play for some reason, it's not hard to do and I don't believe for a minute that Subaru and U-Haul are using a different manufacturer or different specs for their respective units.

Neither of the hitch pictures at those ebay links you provided are actual photos of Baja hitches. I have the Hidden Hitch for the Baja (Hidden Hitch #60982) and it doesn't look like that nor attach in even a similar way. Go to etrailer.com for actual photos of the Hidden Hitch, Curt, and Draw-Tite Baja hitches.

oh i have no doubt that its the same exact unit as well its just now you don't have to go to the dealership to get it.

thanks for picking up the switched negative definition for me. like i said its not impossible just more interesting, or so i hear.
bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bulwnkl »

You got it, speedymatt!
sporter
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by sporter »

Thanks for the explanation Bulwnkl, is there an advantage to "switching" the negative side?
corgimas
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by corgimas »

bulwnkl wrote:Neither of the hitch pictures at those ebay links you provided are actual photos of Baja hitches. I have the Hidden Hitch for the Baja (Hidden Hitch #60982) and it doesn't look like that nor attach in even a similar way. Go to etrailer.com for actual photos of the Hidden Hitch, Curt, and Draw-Tite Baja hitches.
hmm..looking at etrailers pictures looks like the HH & the D-T are actually the same???

I know that i could do the install of the hitch just fine by myself but how easy is the wiring harness????

Thanks
rob
Kites Kayaks & Corgis