Subaru Baja MPG thread

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Post Reply
CFRacer22
Scoobytruck Lurker
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:30 pm

Re: Subaru Baja MPG thread

Post by CFRacer22 » Tue May 15, 2012 7:23 am

2006 N/A Automatic w/ ~60,000 miles:

I've tested 10+ tanks now and got anywhere from 26.4 - 28.3 MPG average. Most of the tanks are typically about 65% hwy, 30% city, and 5% trail riding.

Also did a pure highway trip cruising between 65-68 mph (occasionally up to 70) and barely broke 30 MPG!
Last edited by CFRacer22 on Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Nonstop
Scoobytruck Lurker
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:26 am

Re: Subaru Baja MPG thread

Post by Nonstop » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:37 am

05 Baja Sport
Manual
Average about 25mpg

Wbcherry
Scoobytruck Lurker
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:18 pm

Re: Subaru Baja MPG thread

Post by Wbcherry » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:53 am

rookrex wrote:If the goal is to get the most MPG wouldn't you be better off getting a civic or a 4 banger truck something that isn't AWD? Sure 55 psi in the tires is a LITTLE better on gas, but does it save money in the long run because you have to buy tires sooner? I would guess net cost savings is minimal AND you're putting yourself, your child and others at risk for running high pressures. (One of your pictures is your driving in the rain, on the highway) If you get one ticket because you don't have mirrors it would offset most anything you'd have been saving.

Seems that you're going to alot of lengths to save a little bit of $$ on gas. Especially w/ an NA I bet you could get close to if not a little more than 30MPG if you drove it lightly.
It's been a few months...I didn't see a need to feed this troll.

But, it's been bothering me, anytime I want to read on this forum, that the prevailing attitude is that the Baja should ONLY be a stand-in for a ultra-mega, super-duper-bad-@ss, douche mobile with mud tires and 42 Hella lights mounted on a grill guard the size of a cattle-fence.


My MPG mods look goofy. They also landed me a potential job with a NASCAR engineering recruitment team at my university. I have two patents pending in engine manufacturing with Cummins Diesel, and helped re-design their newest engine block.
Your idiotic winch mount may impress some people. But, the joke of a winch mounted to it will barely pull a golf cart, let alone a car sunk to the frame rails. 99% of you have no idea how to even use it. Slapping on mud tires without improving your undercarraige, like the last guy that tore a wheel off. Questioning my grill covering, while blocking yours with offroad lights you haven't wired correctly.
You look exactly like every other tough-guy pretending he's Mad Max. But, I'm sure you're sincere...you're all special...individual expression...whatever. And I'm the stupid one, right. :roll:

No, my tire pressure doesn't increase wear or unstable handling. I learned to drive on the autobahn; this isn't my first rodeo. (See that? That's a semi-colon used correctly. You can do things like that, after 9 years of higher education.)

Thanks for your concern, that I'm endangering my family. As a third-year med student, I'm personally surprised that most of you aren't strangling yourselves trying to tie your shoes in the morning.

My photos were taken at a stoplight, while you're texting and driving in your Jersey-Shore-mobile.
I don't get tickets, because I don't speed like you, trying to prove your bad-@ssery. Most of the local cops know me from volunteering as a paramedic. But, thank you for your trolling with your "opinion". (AKA...the diarrhea serving as your thought process.)

I can go as far as I personally please to save gas. I put my life on the line in Iraq, so you could burn 8 mpg to impress your little friends and troll internet forums. I've spent less on gas than your monthly Axe Body Spray budget.
Your expensive modifications may impress your girlfriend of the month. My wife of 14 years doesn't really care. She prefers that I set a good example, like a responsible MAN is supposed to. As a trauma surgeon, I'll make more money than Ghandi Jesus...your $2000 wheels are a f*cking joke. For the time being, I prefer paying my $58k/semester tuition. So, yeah...pizza pan wheel covers. Bite me.


Moderator, ban me if you want. Your business model prefers the lowest social denominator. There hasn't been a respectable member here for years. Have fun with that.
Come by the hospital for a psych visit when it gets to be too much.



I'm out.

User avatar
bajaguy
Scoobytruck Master
Posts: 439
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:36 pm
Location: WA, TX

Re: Subaru Baja MPG thread

Post by bajaguy » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:26 pm

I have a nonturbo auto and regularly get 20 city and 23 highway. One time I feathered it and drove like a grandma and got 27.3 on a tank of regular gas!

User avatar
TastyHuman
Scoobytruck Contributer
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:08 pm

Re: Subaru Baja MPG thread

Post by TastyHuman » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:30 pm

bajaguy wrote:I have a nonturbo auto and regularly get 20 city and 23 highway. One time I feathered it and drove like a grandma and got 27.3 on a tank of regular gas!
That's about what my 2003 auto does too. The best is around 25 but I rarely drive to maximize mileage.

baja_gernaut
Scoobytruck Contributer
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:38 pm
Location: South Jersey

Re: Subaru Baja MPG thread

Post by baja_gernaut » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:58 am

Wbcherry wrote:
rookrex wrote:If the goal is to get the most MPG wouldn't you be better off getting a civic or a 4 banger truck something that isn't AWD? Sure 55 psi in the tires is a LITTLE better on gas, but does it save money in the long run because you have to buy tires sooner? I would guess net cost savings is minimal AND you're putting yourself, your child and others at risk for running high pressures. (One of your pictures is your driving in the rain, on the highway) If you get one ticket because you don't have mirrors it would offset most anything you'd have been saving.

Seems that you're going to alot of lengths to save a little bit of $$ on gas. Especially w/ an NA I bet you could get close to if not a little more than 30MPG if you drove it lightly.
It's been a few months...I didn't see a need to feed this troll.

But, it's been bothering me, anytime I want to read on this forum, that the prevailing attitude is that the Baja should ONLY be a stand-in for a ultra-mega, super-duper-bad-@ss, douche mobile with mud tires and 42 Hella lights mounted on a grill guard the size of a cattle-fence.


My MPG mods look goofy. They also landed me a potential job with a NASCAR engineering recruitment team at my university. I have two patents pending in engine manufacturing with Cummins Diesel, and helped re-design their newest engine block.
Your idiotic winch mount may impress some people. But, the joke of a winch mounted to it will barely pull a golf cart, let alone a car sunk to the frame rails. 99% of you have no idea how to even use it. Slapping on mud tires without improving your undercarraige, like the last guy that tore a wheel off. Questioning my grill covering, while blocking yours with offroad lights you haven't wired correctly.
You look exactly like every other tough-guy pretending he's Mad Max. But, I'm sure you're sincere...you're all special...individual expression...whatever. And I'm the stupid one, right. :roll:

No, my tire pressure doesn't increase wear or unstable handling. I learned to drive on the autobahn; this isn't my first rodeo. (See that? That's a semi-colon used correctly. You can do things like that, after 9 years of higher education.)

Thanks for your concern, that I'm endangering my family. As a third-year med student, I'm personally surprised that most of you aren't strangling yourselves trying to tie your shoes in the morning.

My photos were taken at a stoplight, while you're texting and driving in your Jersey-Shore-mobile.
I don't get tickets, because I don't speed like you, trying to prove your bad-@ssery. Most of the local cops know me from volunteering as a paramedic. But, thank you for your trolling with your "opinion". (AKA...the diarrhea serving as your thought process.)

I can go as far as I personally please to save gas. I put my life on the line in Iraq, so you could burn 8 mpg to impress your little friends and troll internet forums. I've spent less on gas than your monthly Axe Body Spray budget.
Your expensive modifications may impress your girlfriend of the month. My wife of 14 years doesn't really care. She prefers that I set a good example, like a responsible MAN is supposed to. As a trauma surgeon, I'll make more money than Ghandi Jesus...your $2000 wheels are a f*cking joke. For the time being, I prefer paying my $58k/semester tuition. So, yeah...pizza pan wheel covers. Bite me.


Moderator, ban me if you want. Your business model prefers the lowest social denominator. There hasn't been a respectable member here for years. Have fun with that.
Come by the hospital for a psych visit when it gets to be too much.



I'm out.
dude what's your problem? Here you are getting all ticked off because of opinions and comments about your car. We are all grown men here. I took offense when you mentioned that "There hasn't been a respectable member here for years". That's real ignorant for your comment. Just because you're going to school and went to war blah,blah blah. Good for you that you are trying to be an educated person in society but your attitude to me, that once you accomplish your med school, being doctor, living in a big house, having alot of friends over drinking wine, blah,blah blah; you will a snob that looks down on people because you can.

You see your assumption of some people here on this forum just create monster's on four wheel's is absolutely so stupid. If that was case every damn forum shouldn't exist because modifying cars is stupid.
But you found somewhere to post some improvement to your car and all of the sudden, it's stupid to modify a car. You contradict yourself. Just like it was mentioned before, you should have purchased a more fuel efficient car but I think you did that improvement for another reason. You knew that your elite college had a NASCAR program and tadddaaa, you come up with all these obvious ways to minimize drag and present to you program just to get into the NASCAR whatever.

So what's your goal, become a NASCAR engineer or surgeon? Whatever dude. Your obnoxious comments were necessary just like your post of your pizza delivery car. You should paint the hubcaps like a pizza with pepperonis. Maybe you should use airbrush so it can be realistic and oh, the shiny finish of paint could bounce off the wind of the hubcaps and create less drag. Present that too.

So please do us all favor, become whatever you want to become and enjoy life without looking down on people.

I am graduate myself, business owner and Iraq war veteran. Without going to further details about my life because it's uncalled for, I do have enough money to play with expensive cars but I choose to be humble and enjoy what I have, my Baja TURBO with 19 mpg's. God bless.

Kras700
Scoobytruck Lurker
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:40 am

Re: Subaru Baja MPG thread

Post by Kras700 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:09 am

I'm going to have to agree with baja_gernaut here. I know i am not the most educated person in the world nor do i ever intend to be. But i can show respect and thank you guys for your service. After college i was hopping to join the air force. But on to my point. Wbcherry you kind of took what rookrex said little to personal at least in my point of view. I read through this topic and there were a few replies that liked your ideas. I like some of them. It looks a little odd but i have people say that about my stock 2006 Baja turbo all the time. And i have had a few tell me it was darn right ugly including my parents. Do i care NO. I love the looks of my baja.

Now i will ask you WBcherry do bed covers actually work? Now I am asking you Because you have more experience than I and have heard numerous things saying they help and numerous things saying they don't help. I built my own bed cover out of plywood some camping sleep pads for the padding and some marine grade vinyl. It even locks.

subienewbie
Scoobytruck Lurker
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:10 pm

Re: Subaru Baja MPG thread

Post by subienewbie » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:03 am

I just got a 2005 Turbo automatic last October, and the best mpg I've got so far with freeway driving is 15. I live in the city with hills and stop signs every block, and normally get 11-13 mpg. I have new tires, new spark plugs, and the shop says if the CEL isn't on it can't be the oxygen sensors. Putting premium in these days (because of the turbo) is pretty brutal on the wallet. If anyone has ideas I'd love to hear 'em.

Kras700
Scoobytruck Lurker
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:40 am

Re: Subaru Baja MPG thread

Post by Kras700 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:06 am

Ouch man there has to be something up with your Scooby. I have a 2006 auto trans with 84000 miles and I'm getting 24 highway and 19-20 city

baja_gernaut
Scoobytruck Contributer
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:38 pm
Location: South Jersey

Re: Subaru Baja MPG thread

Post by baja_gernaut » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:03 pm

Kras700 wrote:I'm going to have to agree with baja_gernaut here. I know i am not the most educated person in the world nor do i ever intend to be. But i can show respect and thank you guys for your service. After college i was hopping to join the air force. But on to my point. Wbcherry you kind of took what rookrex said little to personal at least in my point of view. I read through this topic and there were a few replies that liked your ideas. I like some of them. It looks a little odd but i have people say that about my stock 2006 Baja turbo all the time. And i have had a few tell me it was darn right ugly including my parents. Do i care NO. I love the looks of my baja.

Now i will ask you WBcherry do bed covers actually work? Now I am asking you Because you have more experience than I and have heard numerous things saying they help and numerous things saying they don't help. I built my own bed cover out of plywood some camping sleep pads for the padding and some marine grade vinyl. It even locks.
Go Airforce, you will not regret it;)

baja_gernaut
Scoobytruck Contributer
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:38 pm
Location: South Jersey

Re: Subaru Baja MPG thread

Post by baja_gernaut » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:09 pm

subienewbie wrote:I just got a 2005 Turbo automatic last October, and the best mpg I've got so far with freeway driving is 15. I live in the city with hills and stop signs every block, and normally get 11-13 mpg. I have new tires, new spark plugs, and the shop says if the CEL isn't on it can't be the oxygen sensors. Putting premium in these days (because of the turbo) is pretty brutal on the wallet. If anyone has ideas I'd love to hear 'em.
That's sounds about right with my car. I have vf-43 turbo and some other goodies and I swear, when I hit the gas and hear the turbo spool, I glance over and look how fast the fuel needs moves. I am about to change my sensor to see if it is the culprit of my piss poor fuel economy. I do not have my 3" exhaust installed for the winter season but that doesn't help neither because it sounds so beautiful when you hit the gas.

I will be receiving my sensor from autozone via snail mail this week. I will keep you posted of any fuel consumption changes.

subienewbie
Scoobytruck Lurker
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:10 pm

Re: Subaru Baja MPG thread

Post by subienewbie » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:57 pm

Oh boy...it turns out the previous owner in Nevada modified the exhaust, which the shop says is the most likely problem for the poor mpg. Worse yet, I now have to find a stock exhaust in order to get the smog check for the next registration, or I have no more Baja. I'm in CA and apparently they are stricter here and don't allow aftermarket exhausts (the aftermarket ones I see online won't even ship them here!) Oh well, I'm going to have to start posting ads and trolling for a second cat down to the tail-pipe on a 2005 turbo automatic. If anyone comes across something or wants to trade, let me know!

User avatar
Trucklett
Scoobytruck Contributer
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:53 pm

Re: Subaru Baja MPG thread

Post by Trucklett » Mon May 20, 2013 6:16 am

I've had my '05 Baja Turbo Auto for 7 months now. The original owner babied it appearance-wise and took great care of it mechanically, too. It now has 75k miles.

The daily commute is city driving of 5 miles with stop signs every couple of blocks and a short stretch of 55 mph road with stoplights. The Baja gets about 14-15 mpg in the city. On the highway, the mileage increases substantially.

Given the poor mpg and the ludicrous price of super in NY state, it probably wasn't the best choice for me, but I've wanted once since I saw that first '03.

bajamudd
Scoobytruck Master
Posts: 120
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:03 pm

Re: Subaru Baja MPG thread

Post by bajamudd » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:57 am

My 05' automatic n/a gets 21 town and 34 highway! I was shocked when I did the math on my vacation to mrytle beach

Ru Ru McGoo
Scoobytruck Lurker
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Subaru Baja MPG thread

Post by Ru Ru McGoo » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:56 pm

Just got back from a camping trip to Cape San Blas, FL. (which I highly recomend to anyone both young and old, especially this time of year) we averaged 25mpg highway, 21 city on 93 octane gas with the bed packed full of camping gear and coolers, 4 people inside. No mods at this time and no reset on the ecm. So hopefully with a few mods and maybe a reset the mileage will increase. Not too sure I want to do the reset though. Can someone hook me up with a thread that talks about mods that increase the mpg?

Post Reply