Subaru Baja MPG thread

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Subaru Baja MPG thread

Post by bulwnkl »

yellowblaze wrote:06 Baja sport, a/t, 25k, driving it home from buying it, all thruway averaged.....31.5MPG!!! :shock:
Holy shizzle, Blue-pizizzle! :shock:
aberg12012
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by aberg12012 »

Before I reported getting about 15 mpg here in WI this winter. This does seem very low for an NA as far as others have replied. Over the past couple weeks as it's been warmming up, it's been more in the 18-19 range for mixed driving. When I mix in an 80 mile round trip to visit my parents, it goes up to about 23-24 mpg average for the whole tank. I suspect pure highway it's still getting around 28-ish.

One thing to mention, however - She's at 80K miles, on the orriginal plugs. I'm planning on changing the plugs before a road trip to the Outer Banks, NC this spring. I'm guessing this will also help a bit. Probably not a bunch, but some.

Again, I really think the cold weather is mostly to blame in my case. I mean, it's average drive is a 10 minute trip to and from work - that's still barely enough time for the car to get fully warmed up when it's under 20 degrees, and not even close to enough when it's really cold. So most of that trip is the car still warming up. Ie cold motor, tranny, bearings, thick dif fluid, etc.
bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bulwnkl »

I just updated my mpg post on page 1 of this thread. Over this past winter I've seen considerably better mpg than last winter. For the sake of clarity, it's been just as cold this winter as last (we hit -25F both winters), but my maintenance routine is designed to clean up and keep sparkly clean all engine internals, and I think it's paid off.

Previously, I had an average of 16mpg winter. Now, my average is 20mpg. In fact, I've only had 6 tanks of fuel since last October that were 19.xx, and none whatsoever below that. I'm pretty happy with this considering EPA estimates and the fact that I'm just about to push over 100,000 miles.
jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by jaxed »

Posting my fuelly badge - I really find the site useful!

jseabolt
Scoobytruck Master

Post by jseabolt »

jaxed wrote:Folks, I thought I'd start a thread to log MPGs. I got a little app for my iPhone which will be helping me, but please feel free to log your MPGs as well. It might also be good to note what year, and engine.
the most I got was 32 mpg on a trip to the beach. I typically average 22 to 27 mpg and about 28 mpg on my beach trips. I guess because I'm going downhill. This is a 5 speed.

the tires were about worn out so I wanted to try an experiment to see if it made any difference.
http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd148/turbofiat/

2003 Subaru Baja
1968 Ford Fairlane 500
1980 Fiat 124 Spider (turbocharged)
1987 Yugo GV (1500 turbocharged)
1981 Trabant 601 S
1987 Citroen 2CV
1977 MGB
jseabolt
Scoobytruck Master

Post by jseabolt »

bulwnkl wrote:I just updated my mpg post on page 1 of this thread. Over this past winter I've seen considerably better mpg than last winter. For the sake of clarity, it's been just as cold this winter as last (we hit -25F both winters), but my maintenance routine is designed to clean up and keep sparkly clean all engine internals, and I think it's paid off.

Previously, I had an average of 16mpg winter. Now, my average is 20mpg. In fact, I've only had 6 tanks of fuel since last October that were 19.xx, and none whatsoever below that. I'm pretty happy with this considering EPA estimates and the fact that I'm just about to push over 100,000 miles.
16 MPG? Is this because the AWD is constantly engaged due to snow?

One really bad winter I had my Jeep Wrangler's 4 wheel drive engaged most of the time and I think it averaged about 9 mpg. This was a 4 cylinder.
http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd148/turbofiat/

2003 Subaru Baja
1968 Ford Fairlane 500
1980 Fiat 124 Spider (turbocharged)
1987 Yugo GV (1500 turbocharged)
1981 Trabant 601 S
1987 Citroen 2CV
1977 MGB
beach baja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by beach baja »

03' sport 5 speed 101000 miles
driving mostly city nowadays...
moderate driving... 87 regular
usually average between 22-26 mpg... about 360 miles to the tank before I fill it up.

can't complain. i do a lot of commuting... so i'm happy! :D
canuck37
Scoobytruck Master

Post by canuck37 »

'03 w/60k miles and AT

Since installing my new ARE cap this past summer, my mileage has increased between 3-5 mpg! I track every tank and have since Day 1 so I know that has to be the reason.........
beach baja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by beach baja »

canuck37 wrote:'03 w/60k miles and AT

Since installing my new ARE cap this past summer, my mileage has increased between 3-5 mpg! I track every tank and have since Day 1 so I know that has to be the reason.........
I also track every tank... that way I know something's probably up when the mpg's are off
Nitro350Z
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Nitro350Z »

Year/Engine type/ Miles on car: 03, non-turbo (n/a), 127k km (~79k mi).
gas: 87 regular
driving style: moderate to aggressive
mileage type (city/highway): Almost all city, some highway ever couple weeks or so.
Millage: 22l/100km (autocross), 12l/100km (aggressive), 10.5l/100km (moderate), 6.7l/100km (babying)
for those of you who use mpg: 10.67MPG, 19.58MPG, 22.37MPG, 35.06MPG

Fuel consumption calculated between fillups and with the use of a scan gauge(which I won thanks to my 6.7l/100km fuel economy driving, Woo!)

I won the scan gauge in an EcoDerby challenge, the results were posted on their website but I think they already took them down so here's a screen shot (still had the site cached):

eblanks
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by eblanks »

Man you got 28mpg / I gor 26mpg with my 5 speed turbo. Thats still good for the extra punch when i need it. Keep you tires full of air that makes a difference.
Sabber
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Sabber »

So I just found out today that a 2003 has a significantly lower EPA MPG than the newer 2006; anyone know why this is?
bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bulwnkl »

Whoa! Sorry, jseabolt, I didn't see your question until just now. I think the 16 mpg was simply because my truck hadn't received very good maintenance from its original owner. It was a high-miles but low age truck when I bought it, and I'm not sure the lady had changed the oil more than a couple times. Also, someone had put ATF in the front diff, and/or perhaps gear oil in the A/T. I've been taking good care of it, and mpg is up.
stefan
Scoobytruck Master

Post by stefan »

Well I was getting 28MPG over the summer (03 N/A, 5spdM with 100,000) in winter it dipped a bit to 26- but I hate scrapping so a lot of that was idle time- Of course I drive like i'm 90 years old- shift at 19 to 2100 RPM- no jack rabbiting- mostly back roads (55 to 60 MPH) So far the 06 Outback is only getting 24 (according to the OBC) but I'm still on my first tank of dealer gas (06 Outback 2.5 N/A 5spM with 50,000)
I always wanted a BRAT, I had a Baja (sold) Now I have an Outback
seafajr.
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by seafajr. »

On my last fill up, I averaged 18mpg. I usually average about 20-21mpg during the summer. Of course, most of my driving is city driving. Even if I'm on the freeway, traffic is pretty bad here in the Seattle area. Fortunately, I can ride the bus to and from work most days and I get a cheap yearly transit pass through work. I don't end up spending much on gas anyway.
I have averaged as high as 28mpg on a camping trip where almost all of the driving was freeway. This is even though my car was packed completely full.