Subaru Baja MPG thread

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Wbcherry
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: Subaru Baja MPG thread

Post by Wbcherry »

Last edited by Wbcherry on Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
PenguinSub
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by PenguinSub »

Wbcherry wrote:I have a 03, sport. Bit of an ecomodder.

On my last 100 mile trip, I averaged 33mpg. (per my ScanGauge)

$3 pizza pans for wheel covers, and lexan over the fog lights. I have the entire front grill blocked off with aluminum sheet. Removed the side mirrors, luggage rack, spare tire, and some other junk. Iridium plugs, K&N, 45 lbs tire pressure, etc. A few other secrets...

Wouldn't recommend a higher CFM muffler. I got 35mpg in the city (!!!!) after installing a Flowmaster 50-series, cat-back 2.5 inch pipe. But...then the ecu reset itself. I'm only getting 29 to 31 mpg, now. The stock muffler is going back on, after a few more test runs.

I'm fabbing rear wheel covers, later this week.
When I can find a large sheet of 1/8" aluminum cheap, I'm covering the bed. The 60 lb tailgate will be swapped with 1/2" aluminum. (The car is already silver...what do I care...)

Want photos? I'm new, by the way.
First off, Welcome to the site! Second off, I'd love to see photos. Third off, why not just get a regular soft tonneau cover... wouldn't it be lighter?
Wbcherry
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Wbcherry »

Because a reduction in drag coefficient yields much greater results than weight reduction.
Every 0.01 drag reduction is 1 MPG....equal to removing about 145 lbs of non-rotating mass.

I'm only covering the rear 2/3s of the bed. On pick-up trucks, engineers have shown it to give about 8% mileage increase, superior to a full cover.
Then, I'm covering the side gap between the roll bars and the cab with Lexan. The same with the area above them. Combined with the short bed cover....pick-ups get 16% mileage improvement. I'll get less...but I'm hoping for 9-10%.
(Testing it with cardboard this week, hopefully.)

I made a front air dam out of 6" garden edging, but it didnt help. The frontal under-belly covering already does a decent job. I just need to continue it all the way to the rear. THAT is gonna take me a while - I have to rig a frame to hold the sheeting from flopping around.

Speaking of rotating mass....
I'd love to find the FWD conversion kit (block-off plate and rear spool) from somebody, used. Can't really justify the $400, just to test it out.
Or, if someone has some lighter wheels that are ugly, old, or scratched up. I don't care about the looks...just cost-benefit.
Wbcherry
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Wbcherry »

Last edited by Wbcherry on Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wbcherry
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Wbcherry »

Last edited by Wbcherry on Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
RLucky82
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by RLucky82 »

That's pretty cool.

Anyhow I figured I would post mine up too now that I have some data.

2005 Turbo w/sportshift. 99,000 miles. Mostly rural medium to light foot driving. Every tank is a 15 gallon fill up.

Sheetz ... 89 ... 22.3 mpg << first tank I didn't rev past 3000rpm
Sheetz ... 93 ... 21.04
Sheetz ... 93 ... 21.00
Marathon .. 93 ...21.89
stop n go ... 91 ... tbd

I don't know why the marathon fillup got almost +1 mpg?
KensAudio
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by KensAudio »

Wbcherry wrote: Wish I'd used Lexan on the grill. Looks kinda fugly. I can always change it.
No concern about engine temperature? How is the engine cooling itself? Is it having trouble breathing?

I like your foglight cover idea. i just want to make sure it's removable in case I need to replace a lamp...

By the way - I located my ScangaugeII just in front of the dashboard clock. Just to the left of the knob to adjust the time. It's a little challenging to adjust the time, and I have to sit up a bit to read the outside temperature, but I found it to be the least awkward location, with regard to the ergonomics of visually checking all my dials, etc. (cable run behind the plastic cover under the steering column).
- K
Baja '03 Blk, non-turbo, M/T, OzzBros, Bed Extender, JVC, ScanGaugeII, Garmin
"Well, ya see, son, when a dune buggy, a jeep and a sedan really love each other..."
RobRBaron
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by RobRBaron »

I took a 16 hour roundtrip in September from central AZ to western CO and back. Brought a desk back with me. Averaged 31.5 mpg. 65 to 75 mph on all highway driving. Had a wife , kid and two dogs along also.
RobRBaron
baja_gernaut
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by baja_gernaut »

I think I will stick with my 19mpg's. :?
Wbcherry wrote:Hope the photos arent too big. Cant re-size them on my ipad.

Tie-wraps are temporary. They hold fine, but I'm changing to stainless steel safety-wire.

I like this. The 3m double-tape holds Lexan great. Rivets mainly for looks.

Wish I'd used Lexan on the grill. Looks kinda fugly. I can always change it.

Rear wheel skirts and a bed cover are next.
Not today though....my wife was too aggressive in bed last night and cracked one of my ribs.

Gov't EPA reports 23 mpg highway for this car. I get about 33. Thats a 45% improvement.
asimmons04
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by asimmons04 »

Some of you guys getting like HORRIBLE gas mileage, how does your heater work? Keep a close eye on your temp gauge and let us know if it takes a fairly good amount of time to warm up. I'm thinking your thermostat may be stuck open causing it to run a bit cooler. ECU is designed to run richer until engine warms up, kindof like running choke on a carb'd vehicle. This doesnt hurt most people due to the fact it only takes about 2 minutes to warm up...UNLESS your thermostat is stuck open. If thats the case, engine continues to run rich all the time, doesnt throw a code, and gets horrible gas mileage. I have had this issue with three vehicles, of all makes. I work at OReilly Auto Parts now and the majority of the time when someone tells me this with no other symptoms I suggest it. A thermostat is what like $10 and its better to replace one and never risk running hot, to possibly fix your issue. If I am right, you should save your money back in two refills. :D

ANYWAYS I am getting my Scooby in a day or two. Been really watching to see how yall have faired with them. This ones an 03 N/A with a slushbox (auto) tranny. The only other one within 500 miles online for sale was 8k at a dealer. I'm getting this one at 5600 with 127k miles from an older couple that kept it spotless. Really looking forward to contributing to the forum and getting advice from you guys :D
asimmons04
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by asimmons04 »

also for the turbo guys running a bigger intercooler (turbos) will allow your engine to lean out a tad under load conditions OR run safer on lower octane without knock. you can usually grab them really cheap and run PVC or get a universal aluminum pipe/holes kit for cheap off ebay. most people think of upgrading intercoolers to safely run more boost...the flip side is if you run more cooling and keep the SAME boost you will not run so rich under load (accelerating, hills, payload) reaping better city mileage AND you can safely run cheaper gas.
turbos are kinda cool. they get great mileage till you spool then they SUCK SUCK SUCK gas. sure it all averages out to 20-23 BUT if you can increase that mileage under load it will greatly improve your average. big time. even if you dont race and your going for mileage, grab a front mount intercooler somewhere. you wanna be really creative, add a 12v fan on it for like $50.
may help some of you turbo guys :D
mattada
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by mattada »

What is your cruising RPMs?

Im running an 05 baja, non turbo and manual tranny.

at 65mph im right at 3k
Just seems pretty high for being in 5th gear. It's like i need a 6th.

averaging 25mpg, lots of short trips and some highway. probably 50/50.
Zardoz9
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Zardoz9 »

'05 Turbo, 5 speed

SoCal Freeway driving

108,000 Miles

Motul Oil

25 MPG, like Clockwork
Wbcherry
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Wbcherry »

Last edited by Wbcherry on Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
rookrex
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by rookrex »

If the goal is to get the most MPG wouldn't you be better off getting a civic or a 4 banger truck something that isn't AWD? Sure 55 psi in the tires is a LITTLE better on gas, but does it save money in the long run because you have to buy tires sooner? I would guess net cost savings is minimal AND you're putting yourself, your child and others at risk for running high pressures. (One of your pictures is your driving in the rain, on the highway) If you get one ticket because you don't have mirrors it would offset most anything you'd have been saving.

Seems that you're going to alot of lengths to save a little bit of $$ on gas. Especially w/ an NA I bet you could get close to if not a little more than 30MPG if you drove it lightly.