Lurker that wanted a Baja turbo

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

harleyjohn45
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Lurker that wanted a Baja turbo

Post by harleyjohn45 »

kamesama980 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:13 am
harleyjohn45 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:15 pm Upon a very close examination of the intercooler I did find a few traces of metal, so there is more in there. I am contemplating getting a new inter cooler. Some say get a little more capacity, maybe a front mount. What would be the advantages of running a slightly larger intercooler with the stock turbo. I live at 7300 feet above sea level and 90 octane is the most powerful gasoline. I use 96 octane in the daily drivers and 88 octane in the classic and hot rods. Never experienced and knocking or pinging. Still looking for the most reliable set up possible.
For the stock turbo? Zip benefit to a front mount. lots of money and effort in piping and mounts.

A bigger top-mount IC might allow the less delta-p for the same temp but afaik the stock turbo isn't putting out enough heat/pressure to be a problem yet anyway. I vote to keep it stock unless you can find a take-off from another model for cheap.
Thanks Russell:
I made a mistake in a previous post, I said I run 96 octane in my daily drivers. It's 86 octane here in the mountains. My mechanic said he would clean the inter cooler and go with it. It does look like new.
harleyjohn45
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by harleyjohn45 »

mike-tracy wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:31 am A fmic will add lag, every time you stab the throttle, the puny little turbo will have to pressurize 10 feet of 2"+ of pipe. Versus 1.5-2 feet in a tmic. Unless you plan to swap to a large turbo, I vote replace your tmic with the same one.

Source: I have a TD04HLA with a FMIC.
Thanks mike: looks like I will stay stock.
harleyjohn45
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by harleyjohn45 »

harleyjohn45 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:52 pm
mike-tracy wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:31 am A fmic will add lag, every time you stab the throttle, the puny little turbo will have to pressurize 10 feet of 2"+ of pipe. Versus 1.5-2 feet in a tmic. Unless you plan to swap to a large turbo, I vote replace your tmic with the same one.

Well I got my new free turbo, It may be a piece of junk. It came from a company called MAXSPEEDINGRODS and it says made on China. It looks quality, but I have doubts. It is a TD04, so I think it's the right size and looks like the one we took off. The literature says the Turbo is preset to 8 PSI waste gate tension. It cannot go beyond 14.5 PSI. The say I would have to put on a manual bleed valve or an electronic controller. If I can get my original 210 HP, I will be good. 8 PSI seems a little low, I had an IDI ford diesel and I installed a turbo, but set it at 5 PSI to keep the EGT's down. No gauges on this car, I may need some. Maybe a pillar boost and EGT gauge.
harleyjohn45
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by harleyjohn45 »

harleyjohn45 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:28 pm
harleyjohn45 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:52 pm

Well I got my new free turbo, It may be a piece of junk. It came from a company called MAXSPEEDINGRODS and it says made on China. It looks quality, but I have doubts. It is a TD04, so I think it's the right size and looks like the one we took off. The literature says the Turbo is preset to 8 PSI waste gate tension. It cannot go beyond 14.5 PSI. The say I would have to put on a manual bleed valve or an electronic controller. If I can get my original 210 HP, I will be good. 8 PSI seems a little low, I had an IDI ford diesel and I installed a turbo, but set it at 5 PSI to keep the EGT's down. No gauges on this car, I may need some. Maybe a pillar boost and EGT gauge.
Mike, could you contact me off line. I don't know how to send private messages .
John L.
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

harleyjohn45 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:44 pm Mike, could you contact me off line. I don't know how to send private messages .
John L.
click on the user's name to the right of the messages. that'll take you to their profile page. on the left side under "contact user" will be a link to send them a PM.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
harleyjohn45
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by harleyjohn45 »

Thanks Russell, I got in touch.