STi TMIC/aftermarket

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Sarra
Scoobytruck Contributer

STi TMIC/aftermarket

Post by Sarra »

So, if I get a 2002-2005 STi TMIC, will it fit, or will I need to bend/relocate my AC line?

Also, is there a way to get a shroud that fits the stock hood and a STi TMIC, or am I going to have to fabricobble something together for this?

This is after discovering that about 2/3 of the fins on the back of my TMIC are totally folded over, almost like someone stored a tire or something on the back of the TMIC... Previous owner must have really hated this thing D:

I'm looking at a Mishimoto TMIC, but it's different in the fact that it's a single input, instead of the Y style with dual inputs, and i'm not sure if it's going to have room to fit, IE, that AC hard line.

Any advice anyone can shine on this?

Is it recommended to retain a stud style BPV mounting, or should I get some bolts? I think that studs might be better for the aluminum threading, but I don't know for sure... Aluminum is aluminum, and it is very soft. D: I stripped out the threads on my WRX, but that was a long time ago...
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Re: STi TMIC/aftermarket

Post by kamesama980 »

I got my Baja with an STI intercooler (and turbo and ECM), doesn't look like the AC lines were molested. I don't know of any duct to connect it to the stock hood scoop but it nowhere near lines up.

Don't want to try to straighten your fins? It's easy enough to do while watching TV, most parts stores have a tool called a radiator comb that'll have several different tooth pitches to match different heat exchangers. $3 is a lot cheaper than a new IC that may not fit.

1. torque wrench.
2. Yes, studs are slightly better in that you aren't grinding against the AL with the possibility of dissimilar metals causing galling. still need to not overtighten it though.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
Sarra
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: STi TMIC/aftermarket

Post by Sarra »

Is there much clearance between the back of the TMIC and the AC line? The Mishimoto I'm seriously considering looks like it's a bit bigger than the STi TMIC, and I really don't want to mess with that AC line. :D

I know about combs. The problem is that the fins aren't just laying over, but they're actually SMASHED. I'm not joking when I say it looks like someone left a tire on the back of the IC, with it's full weight on it. The fins are folded over and smashed down, and while they probably are fixable, the stock TMIC probably won't handle 18 PSI from a TD04 for long before it heatsoaks, so a larger core is necessary anyway. Plus, it gets well up into the 115*F+ range here during the summer, and a larger TMIC would give me more headroom on temps.

I think, when I get a new TMIC, as well as a BPV, I will invest in studs for the BPV mounting, and hopefully preserve the aluminum threads longer. I'll grab a new torque wrench that does inch-lbs as well.