Newbie here with exhaust issues

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

pieceofjake12
Scoobytruck Lurker

Newbie here with exhaust issues

Post by pieceofjake12 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:09 pm

Hey guys, bought my 2004 Baja back in September. It had a hole in the exhaust when I bought it and now it has gotten significantly bigger. Im looking to fix it or just replace the whole thing, only issue is I'm not sure how to do so. Rockauto doesnt seem to have the exhaust system kit, and I'm not exactly sure how to fix it. Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

Guacamole
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Newbie here with exhaust issues

Post by Guacamole » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:03 pm

Hey there. Before we dive into this, is your 04 a Sport or Turbo? Rockauto has all the exhaust parts for the Sport, but not the Turbo. That said, if the Cats are not throwing codes, DO NOT REPLACE THEM!!!
User is currently lost somewhere just East of Lyra

pieceofjake12
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by pieceofjake12 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:05 pm

It is a Turbo and is not throwing any codes.

Guacamole
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Guacamole » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:47 pm

Well being a Turbo definitely makes things more complicated. But fear not! The parts can be found... just not all in the same place or category.
So, one thing to point out about the Baja Turbos: the entire drive train is identical to the Gen-2 Forester XT (2004-2007) drive train. As such, other parts that are linked to the drive train (such as the exhaust) are 100% compatible to the Baja Turbo.
As for the Baja, everything behind the rear axle is proprietary, but almost everything from there forward is shared with another platform (mostly Legacy).
Now to your predicament: exhaust.
All models and years of the Baja share all but one of their exhaust parts with another platform. The headers, cats, gaskets, and midpipe are all straight from the Legacy. On the Baja Turbo however, the headers, cats, and gaskets are all shared with the Forester XT, while the midpipe is still from the Legacy. The muffler on both the NA and Turbo Bajas is proprietary, but is from what I understand shared between the two models and is compatible for all years.
So, if you want to do a full [minus the cats] exhaust replacement, you can get Forester XT parts for everything IN FRONT of the midpipe. The midpipe can be pulled from a Gen-3 2.5L Legacy (2000-2004). The muffler will need to be from another Baja, or an aftermarket from Bosal. No one else (to my knowledge) produces this part. The hardest parts to find will be the headers, as not too many manufacturers produce them.

Now with that all said, is it really a full exhaust replacement you want?
Where and how big is said hole in the exhaust?
The most common exhaust failure is right at the flex joint where the rear cat pipe and midpipe meet. The engineers designed the joint to be in the exact spot that gets splashed on from the gunk kicked up from the tires. The gasket inside the flex joint is a metal mesh gasket, and at this point is probably rusted to hell and back and will crumble to dust when pulled just like the one in my 06 Sport did.
Phew!

P.S if you haven't already since it's a Turbo, pull that pesky mesh filter in the banjo bolt
User is currently lost somewhere just East of Lyra

BajaTim
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by BajaTim » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:57 pm

I (2005 turbo) went to a local custom
muffler shop and the mech bent all needed pipe (from catback - is that midpipe?) and was about to put on a muffler when I said to you have one in stainless - he did (but it’s a bit louder - still passing inspection here in MA) - cost: $340?? $325?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk