A new Brat on the Impreza frame... could it be done?

Subaru Brat Discussions - HEY BRAT PEOPLE. If you have any ideas for the Brat section of the site, please PM jaxed!
bnther36
Scoobytruck Contributer

A new Brat on the Impreza frame... could it be done?

Post by bnther36 »

With winter coming on, I'm really starting to miss my Baja and I was wondering why Subaru doesn't make a new Brat out of the Impreza chasis. With a base Impreza selling in the low 20's, I would have to think that it might be a viable product for Subaru; it would certianly help their stale line-up.
jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Re: A new Brat on the Impreza frame... could it be done?

Post by jaxed »

bnther36 wrote:With winter coming on, I'm really starting to miss my Baja and I was wondering why Subaru doesn't make a new Brat out of the Impreza chasis. With a base Impreza selling in the low 20's, I would have to think that it might be a viable product for Subaru; it would certianly help their stale line-up.
Personally, I would love to see a new brat from the Impreza... as opposed to the Forester or Tribeca. It would just make sense.
promace1
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by promace1 »

But it would be better if they did do it off of the Tribeca to compete with the ridgeline, Sport trac, avalanche. In 5 years when it's time to retire my Baja, if there is no new Subaru "Truck" I'll probably be going with a Tacoma or Ridgeline. The Baja was always a steady "Small Number" seller for Subaru, they'd be smart to bring it back.
Flowmastered87GL
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Flowmastered87GL »

Who knows where that picture is of the 99 or so impreza coupe was turned into a truck? That I think is the most practial application. similar to the "utes" you see in mexico, australia and even boarder areas in AZ and CA.
2005 Baja Sport, 51k ("NU BRAT")
2004 Freightliner Columbia Day Cab 504k
bnther36
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by bnther36 »

[quote="promace1"]But it would be better if they did do it off of the Tribeca to compete with the ridgeline, Sport trac, avalanche. In 5 years when it's time to retire my Baja, if there is no new Subaru "Truck" I'll probably be going with a Tacoma or Ridgeline. The Baja was always a steady "Small Number" seller for Subaru, they'd be smart to bring it back.[/quote]

I'm sure that it would be a nicer truck if Soob went with the bigger frame, but what would the cost be? I'm not sure that truck would be able to break in to the market at a higher price.

The Impreza version would be smaller and probably less comfortable, but easily affordable for college kids or ol-timers with tight wallets (like myself) [smilie=giggle.gif] It would really fill the niche for the urban handyman like myself who doesn't need a full size truck or even a half size truck for that matter. Have you ever tried to drive a S-10 on icey winter roads? People refer to them around here as the 'canary in the coal mine'. In contrast I REALLY enjoyed driving my Baja in the snow.

And if someone had the money, they could up-grade this little truck to WRX standards. I could easily see one on the beach with a cooler and junk in the bed.

I would love to see Soob bring the Brat back to the market. It would fill my needs perfectly and with the mileage, I could afford to drive confidently year round.
Ayrton Senna
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Ayrton Senna »

promace1 wrote:But it would be better if they did do it off of the Tribeca to compete with the ridgeline, Sport trac, avalanche. In 5 years when it's time to retire my Baja, if there is no new Subaru "Truck" I'll probably be going with a Tacoma or Ridgeline. The Baja was always a steady "Small Number" seller for Subaru, they'd be smart to bring it back.
I agree, if there is no new Subaru truck in a few years I'll be getting a Ridgeline myself.

I would really like to see another BRAT. :)
Flowmastered87GL
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Flowmastered87GL »

I was kind of drooling over a VW "brat" that I saw today (in OREGON!).... probably was a 2000 or newer model year. Just like the TRabbit they made, but newer. It was from mexico according to the plates where they still get all the cool "utes" like the ford courier and that VW thing.

If they can sell those things down there why cant they up here?!?! :oops: :oops:
2005 Baja Sport, 51k ("NU BRAT")
2004 Freightliner Columbia Day Cab 504k
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Can't sell them here because either they don't pass our screwed up federal emissions standards, or the safety standards. Thats why we miss some of the neat car stuff.
Mike
Even though I work on Dodges, I don't own one.
Ayrton Senna
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Ayrton Senna »

Flowmastered87GL wrote:I was kind of drooling over a VW "brat" that I saw today (in OREGON!).... probably was a 2000 or newer model year. Just like the TRabbit they made, but newer. It was from mexico according to the plates where they still get all the cool "utes" like the ford courier and that VW thing.

If they can sell those things down there why cant they up here?!?! :oops: :oops:
Safety issues (if they're older) and emissions.